Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd Behavior + ID

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Odd Behavior + ID

    Today, in the garden I had a strange day. It started normally, 2 Blue Tits fed on the Peanut Feeder and a Magpie, Wood Pigeon and Pied Wagtail ate the bread on the floor. However, I noticed a Blackbird under the trampoline. It sat for an hour (I didn't sit there the whole hour so might of flown away and come back but I doubt it). It had no food or anything of worth but then 2 Great Tits landed next to it and started to mob it. The Great Tits squawked continuesly untill the Blackbird flew off and then without eating any food or stopping off in the garden at all flew off themselves. I presume it wasn't territorial as I've seen (The same pair visit extremely regurlary nd I know as one as a Red Ring) the pair happily feed with a Dunnock before. Were they nervous with the presence of the Blackbird as they didn't want any food from it they just wanted to verbally attack it.

    Very odd !

    I also noticed an unusual number of Waterbirds (Like Gulls and Waders) fly over. Lots of Common and Black Heads flew over and this (What I think, Photo Below) is a Great Black-Backed Gull. Can someone please confirm. And I also saw a c200 strong flock of Lapwings fly over.

    Also, One Redwing, 8 Chaffinch and lots of Wood Pigeons.

    For your information, the Black-Backed Gull was very large, I would say slightly larger than Herring but DON'T BASE YOR ANSWER ON SIZE, because I hadn't seen a Gull for about 20hrs previously so had nothing to compare with. I was drawn towards GBB Gull due to the deepness and darkness of the strong black back. It is a very dark black colour.

    Not really been out recently so my Year List (Although I'm not actaully Year-Listing, just carrying on from my 4.5 months of Listing from last year) is only at 21. 18 of which came today.

    A Late Happy New Year and Happy Birding.

    Why on earth is this an option as a sign?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Old World Warbler; January 2nd, 2012, 10:02 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post

    Why on earth is this an option as a sign?
    Because some people on here are very frustrating!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nandrews View Post
      Because some people on here are very frustrating!
      That's me!

      Any ideas on the bb gull?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post
        That's me!

        Any ideas on the bb gull?
        Prob GBBG if it was big and very dark, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if I were you. You'll go crazy trying to put a label on every poor image going and learn next to nothing. Not sure it's the same bird/species in both pics even. Too many people are trying to identify stuff from poor photos instead of watching birds in the field and learning how to do it 'properly' in my opinion, anyhow.

        So maybe more birding, fewer fuzzy pics. And everyone's happy.

        F.
        Last edited by forktail; January 4th, 2012, 10:06 PM.
        OBC John Peel Awesomeness
        The little things they make me so happy, all I want to do is live by the sea...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by forktail View Post
          Prob GBBG if it was big and very dark, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it if I were you. You'll go crazy trying to put a label on every poor image going and learn next to nothing. Not sure it's the same bird/species in both pics even. Too many people are trying to identify stuff from poor photos instead of watching birds in the field and learning how to do it 'properly' in my opinion, anyhow.

          So maybe more birding, fewer fuzzy pics. And everyone's happy.

          F.
          It is the same bird, one picture from above and one from underneath. The strength of the black colour on the back indicates to me gbb gull. I will go with that because it was very big.

          I won't lose sleep over it, GBBG.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post
            It is the same bird, one picture from above and one from underneath. The strength of the black colour on the back indicates to me gbb gull. I will go with that because it was very big.

            I won't lose sleep over it, GBBG.
            are you sure??? looks like a great black backed gull in the first photo and the second photo seems to show a black headed gull.
            i have taken the liberty to rehost the photos just incase you claim your account has been hacked

            regards darrell j prest

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by greenwithensbirder View Post
              are you sure??? looks like a great black backed gull in the first photo and the second photo seems to show a black headed gull.
              i have taken the liberty to rehost the photos just incase you claim your account has been hacked

              What would a GBBG look like from underneath then? Would it have different markings.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post
                What would a GBBG look like from underneath then? Would it have different markings.
                firstly it would be a lot larger than the photo of the black headed gull you say is the GBBG
                regards darrell j prest

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by greenwithensbirder View Post
                  firstly it would be a lot larger than the photo of the black headed gull you say is the GBBG
                  The gull flew by with a few other smaller gulls. The most likely explanation is, I watched the black backed gull fly by, and when attempting to photograph it, missed it and accidentally photographed one of the smaller gulls. Then as it flew on more I took a photograph actually of it, meaning the the bird I saw was a GBBG and it was with at least one black headed gull.

                  Sorry to say, this won't be my last post, I'll be back on occasions when I need some mote birds identified, I'll try elsewhere first though, although all you 'he's a fake' people are actually answering my question.
                  Last edited by Old World Warbler; January 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post
                    The gull flew by with a few other smaller gulls. The most likely explanation is, I watched the black backed gull fly by, and when attempting to photograph it, missed it and accidentally photographed one of the smaller gulls. Then as it flew on more I took a photograph actually of it, meaning the the bird I saw was a GBBG and it was with at least one black headed gull.

                    Sorry to say, this won't be my last post, I'll be back on occasions when I need some mote birds identified, I'll try elsewhere first though, although all you 'he's a fake' people are actually answering my question.
                    im struggling to see the truth!! as the gbbg would appear to be flying high and quite distant, even with the original photo cropped, yet the bhg is closer, and appears near full frame.

                    now EXIF date from the camera shows the photos were taken 9 minutes apart

                    so the most likely explanation is..............???
                    regards darrell j prest

                    Comment


                    • #11



                      Two things spring to mind here; Value for money. And David Harcome

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Greenwithensbirder,

                        They were not taken 9 minutes apart. Its because, when I crop the photographs on Adobe photoshop, it sets the time it was taken, to the time when it was cropped. (If I recollect correctly, the time I cropped the photos was in the evening and the sky was pitch black). I cropped the two images 9 minutes apart.

                        Explained.

                        I think, I just messed up my camera as the Black-Backed Gull crossed with the Black-Headed Gull positionwise. I do have some other 'successfull' pictures of the gull, but they're nowhere near as good as my first one. Which I took from 6 metres away.

                        Explained.

                        And to explain the last part, The bbg flew over my head, my photos were taken through my transparent conservetry window. It flew over (Photo 1) and carried on. Excited at there being a BBG over the house (Never seen any gull with a Black back in my Town before), I rushed upstairs, to grab my NEW CAMERA WHICH IS MUCH BETTER, and then took a photo (Roughly 30s after the first one) of the Gull heading away.

                        Explained.

                        I am right sometimes you know. And I'm right when I say I'm not a fake!!!
                        Last edited by Old World Warbler; January 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          lets turn this around!

                          sit down and relax and imagine this scenario

                          ''you have been birding for 27 years, and have a self found list of 250+, learnt the weather patterns that will produce good birds on your local patch.
                          able to go on a 18 mile walk locally without binoculars yet still identify 38 species of bird via sight,sound and jizz.
                          locally your records are not questioned as you have a good reputation with fellow birders and they know you are genuine,even though a few times you have misidentified a few birds,being able to admit to mistakes means a lot.
                          you started birding before the internet and used a few cheap guides,but through watching birds and becoming used to what you saw meant more fun,IE identifying birds yourself
                          then the internet exploded! and being able to converse with other birders became a great tool for asking questions and discussing id.
                          you sign up to a forum,you dont really comment much as the id posts are either too complex or easy. then suddenly a young birder turns up posting id questions about

                          warbler/sparrows
                          ravens despite being told on many occasions it was a crow
                          GBBG

                          and many other common birds,
                          yet offers id on american coot,spoon billed sandpiper,caspian gull,black duck which you assume the person would only know from looking in books or the internet.
                          many things dont add up you think! they claim they are using the collins guide which has clear plates of the birds, many plumages/ages and colour maps.
                          you start to think somethings odd when they answer to a question that its a male little grebe because of the fluffed rear! when corrected he states he thought summer little grebes were female and winter little grebes were male and had not read the text !!!''

                          now what would you think of the person that cannot tell the difference between a gbbg and bhg (which were named as the same bird) even with photos but offers id on caspian gull,cannot id a teal but offers id on black duck,a person who one minute cannot identify a chaffinch and questions whether it is a sparrow/warbler,then have 4 chaffinch in the garden!!! from someone who admits not looking closely at birds ''I don't note much in birds, thats the problem. ''

                          now what would you think?
                          regards darrell j prest

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by greenwithensbirder View Post
                            lets turn this around!

                            sit down and relax and imagine this scenario

                            ''you have been birding for 27 years, and have a self found list of 250+, learnt the weather patterns that will produce good birds on your local patch.
                            able to go on a 18 mile walk locally without binoculars yet still identify 38 species of bird via sight,sound and jizz.
                            locally your records are not questioned as you have a good reputation with fellow birders and they know you are genuine,even though a few times you have misidentified a few birds,being able to admit to mistakes means a lot.
                            you started birding before the internet and used a few cheap guides,but through watching birds and becoming used to what you saw meant more fun,IE identifying birds yourself
                            then the internet exploded! and being able to converse with other birders became a great tool for asking questions and discussing id.
                            you sign up to a forum,you dont really comment much as the id posts are either too complex or easy. then suddenly a young birder turns up posting id questions about

                            warbler/sparrows
                            ravens despite being told on many occasions it was a crow
                            GBBG

                            and many other common birds,
                            yet offers id on american coot,spoon billed sandpiper,caspian gull,black duck which you assume the person would only know from looking in books or the internet.
                            many things dont add up you think! they claim they are using the collins guide which has clear plates of the birds, many plumages/ages and colour maps.
                            you start to think somethings odd when they answer to a question that its a male little grebe because of the fluffed rear! when corrected he states he thought summer little grebes were female and winter little grebes were male and had not read the text !!!''

                            now what would you think of the person that cannot tell the difference between a gbbg and bhg (which were named as the same bird) even with photos but offers id on caspian gull,cannot id a teal but offers id on black duck,a person who one minute cannot identify a chaffinch and questions whether it is a sparrow/warbler,then have 4 chaffinch in the garden!!! from someone who admits not looking closely at birds ''I don't note much in birds, thats the problem. ''

                            now what would you think?
                            If I'm honest, I only skimmed it, but got the jist and quite frankly, DON'T CARE! (I also commented on a Turnstone so add that to your list).

                            About what I think. I think its perfectly fine if somebody if trying to help somebody else, make them feel welcome, etc. (WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT YOUR NOT DOING).

                            And consider this:

                            My 4 Chaffinch in the garden were males and my Teal ID was from 5 months ago. I've seen over 600 individuals since.

                            I don't care much about my 'patch list' or 'self found list' and don't care if its 2+ or 250+. When I've been birding 27 yrs I'll know a lot more and will have seen a lot more. But now, I'm just here to enjoy watching birds and don't care if I'm the best at identifying them in the solar system.

                            I don't want to be 'proffessional' and don't want to spend my life in search of birds. All I want is to watch birds, and breifly make notes of what I see. If I can't tell the difference between a Blackbird and a Buzzard, I don't care. I enjoy birdwatching as a hobby and no more.

                            If I had seen a American Coot, American Black Duck, Turnstone, Little Grebe, etc. myself. I would immediately know what they were. Its just some birds, I haven't come across as much in my books, magazines or in first hand experience.

                            I don't care if I haven't EVER seen them. I know what they are and try to help other people who don't know what they are. Thats what the ID forum is for, if you didn't already know. Helping other birders ID their birds.

                            I've got one more bird for ID and a few more posts and I'll be gone.

                            Goodbye.
                            Last edited by Old World Warbler; January 7th, 2012, 03:19 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              if your just happy to just watch birds then why are you obsessed with having us try and identify every poor photo you take??
                              regards darrell j prest

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X