Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western?, Kelp? - gull ID from Texas

Hi all,
    I hope you can find a moment and take a look at one photo. Week ago, on July 22, I had a small wave of LBBG coming to Texas shore. One subadult looked quite different. Dark iris does not fit LBBG at all at this age; also wings molt pattern and pure white head - at this time LBBGs came with streaks on their heads, leg color etc.
    BTW ss wing molt is interesting it seem to progress from inner most secondary and seems to keep going without any other locus; also left wing is more advanced in ss molt than the right one. Old S1 in both wings looks newer than other old ss (including s2).
    Here is one composite photo that should make checking easier - instead of going back and forth when trying to view bunch of photos. If there is need I will upload a few more photos but I think I covered all what can be useful and is available from all taken photos.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/145064667/original

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Mark.

I would identify it as a 2 cycle type Kelp. The billshape also looks better for that sp.
    The complete moult to 3 cycle is on it's way with new 3rd generation inner primaries showing obvious white tips as oposed to a 2 cycle bird, which would lack white tips.
    Great fotage as usual Mark!

JanJ

Comment

Originally posted by JanJ View Post
      Hi Mark.

I would identify it as a 2 cycle type Kelp. The billshape also looks better for that sp.
      The complete moult to 3 cycle is on it's way with new 3rd generation inner primaries showing obvious white tips as oposed to a 2 cycle bird, which would lack white tips.
      Great fotage as usual Mark!

JanJ
      Many thanks, Jan

What is also great that - this was exactly how I ended up the ID after turning many pages in several books. To me the best match was 28.22 in Howell & Dunn but I have no experience with this species. I sent this image to couple people before posting and I also got suggestion of possible Western.

All the best,

Mark

Comment

Working...
      X