Ehrenberg's Redstart or...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ehrenberg's Redstart or...?

This bird was photographed on the 22nd October in central Lithuania. Looks like Ehrenberg's Redstart (or ssp samamisicus, as it isn't split in Lithuania), but the geographical location of this find throws us off. Can it be simply lighter Black Redstart?Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eon; October 25th, 2011, 07:42 AM.

I would go for Black Redstart.

Comment

Not with those wing patches
      www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the wing patches on Black Redstart - http://www.wildechoes.org/joomla/ima...092007_159.jpg

I can't resolve the colour of the underparts with Common Redstart and it certainly is not like a female samamisicus.

BTW, below are images of a female Redstart at Southwold nine years ago, that has plumage features that match specimens of autumn fm samamisicus - overall quite pale and grey, very pale fringes to tertials and coverts, slightly warm brown streaking on the breast and flanks. However, almost certainly not samamisicus.

Brian S
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your help. Black Redstart was my initial thoughts. The thing is, that our 'original' B.R. are much darker, also in autumn. The original photo (posted below) shows some peachy wash on the breast, which is definitely not typical for our birds. Having in mind that we here are having now plenty of northern/eastern migrants, can this bird be of more eastern origin? And what about age and sex - is it an adult male with this wing panel (doesn't look like one)?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
            There is nothing wrong with the wing patches on Black Redstart - http://www.wildechoes.org/joomla/ima...092007_159.jpg

I can't resolve the colour of the underparts with Common Redstart and it certainly is not like a female samamisicus.

BTW, below are images of a female Redstart at Southwold nine years ago, that has plumage features that match specimens of autumn fm samamisicus - overall quite pale and grey, very pale fringes to tertials and coverts, slightly warm brown streaking on the breast and flanks. However, almost certainly not samamisicus.

Brian S
            Its interesting you say that Brian. I had a very similar bird a few years back in late October. I looked out and thought ah nice - there is a Black Redstart on the lawn. An obvious redstart, with a quite prominent wing panel formed by crisp pale tertial edges and pale secondary fringes. Then it flew up on the garden wall. Big eye ring, pale cream vent and throat, more grey on the breast and peachy on the flanks. It was also rather slim. Even though I knew it was a redstart, it still set off my Red-flanked bluetail panic mode!

I also had a similar bird on the cliff at Buness about 10 minutes before an eye-browed thrush arrived.

Is there an official or unofficial view on what these samamisicus look-a-likeys are?

Comment

Working...
            X