Malyasia's Mystery Plover - "White-faced Plover"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malyasia's Mystery Plover - "White-faced Plover"

We're very excited to announce David Bakewell and Peter Kennerley's new article "Malyasia's Mystery Plover". Is it possible that a small plover, not described or illustrated in any modern literature or field guide occurs in southeast Asia? Packed with informative photographs, David and Peter explore the possible identity of a small plover in Asia.

Please post your feedback here and reply to this thread and if we have any readers in Asia who might have photos to add to the discussion, please add them to this thread too.

David and Peter are currently travelling but we look forward to your thoughts.
    ________
    uhwh warehouse

fascinating read - not every day you hear of a new species and looks like this one has been lurking under everyone's noses. kudos to authors on some very painstaking research and having the courage to stand up and publish this - now what needs to be done about conversation - it must be a rare bird no?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobolink44 View Post
      fascinating read - not every day you hear of a new species and looks like this one has been lurking under everyone's noses. kudos to authors on some very painstaking research and having the courage to stand up and publish this - now what needs to be done about conversation - it must be a rare bird no?
      Yes, rare, and threatened. I've just heard that the site where they were being seen in Vietnam has been destroyed. It makes catching them and getting DNA analysis done a top priority.

Comment

Hi Dave, great article. Any idea of how many pairs might be out there and if BirdLife International will be stepping in to make sure this bird doesn't go extinct right after it's been discovered?
        My Surfbirds Photo Albums

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Birch View Post
          Hi Dave, great article. Any idea of how many pairs might be out there and if BirdLife International will be stepping in to make sure this bird doesn't go extinct right after it's been discovered?
          Hi Andy,

I think it's still too early to come up with population estimates, but chances are that the population is small, otherwise they would surely have been noticed before now. The max seen at one time remains only 12 birds.

Peter and I will be talking about next steps with regard to conservation measures in the coming weeks.

Comment

Brian S

Dave

I think the article is brilliant, with just the right balance reached. Looking at the photos, and having been with Peter at Tring checking the specimens, it is hard to imagine it as a subspecies of KP. The clear structural and plumage differences clearly hint at it being a different species, but DNA would obviously be the priority in confirming this - if there is DNA available for the other species around it, for comparison, that is.

Brian small

Comment

Hey

I think most of us expected the next dozen new species to come from Asia to be as a result of its vastly overlumped avifauna. This came as a real suprise. Amazing observations Dave. Makes you wonder what else we might have missed... and indeed if some of us might not have seen a few of these without being observant enough to realise it.

Dave, have you considered an article for Birding Asia or Forktail? PM me if you want more details (although you may have been contacted already!) There was a fantastic article in Birding World a while back about the overlumped taxa of Asia. There are LOTS of new birds coming, the only sticking point is people having time to do the studies and write the papers!

Again, well done Dave. Very impressive.
              OBC John Peel Awesomeness
              The little things they make me so happy, all I want to do is live by the sea...

Comment

[QUOTE=forktail;2938]
                PM me if you want more details (although you may have been contacted already!) QUOTE]

Hi Forktail,

Be glad to if I knew how! Alternatively, you could email me at the address given at the end of the article.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave and anyone else who wants to know how to PM (private message) another member, just click on their username (username is big blue and underlined to left of their post) and click "send a private message"

To access private messages other members may have sent you, look for the link under your name on the top right of the page. It says "welcome, your name"

You can set it up so that you get an email whenever anyone sends you a private message and change any other preferences such as signature etc by clicking on the "User CP" link in the blue bar above. Best, Andy

Comment

I see Peter Ericsson has posted a photo on World Rarities Gallery...link and details below

'White-faced Plover", Thailand, Lampakbia 13 Jan08 ? Peter Ericsson
                    the 'White-faced Plover' as described on Surfbirds......from the birding hot spot of Lampakbia,Thailand
                    ________
                    Yamaha DSP-1

Comment

Certainly looks like the photos from the article. So does anyone know if Lampakbia in Thailand is the best place to see these birds? I also found these photos from same location from this winter. Not sure if Dave B is checking this thread much but wondering if more photos or more wintering sites are being unearthed.

Comment

More plover photos posted in World Birding from Lampakbia Jan '08 by Peter Ericsson

'White-faced Plover', Thailand, Lampakbia, Petburi 28Jan08 Peter Ericsson
                        http://pbase.com/peterericsson

Any other Surfbirds readers been there this winter?
                        Last edited by AndyB; February 7th, 2008, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I was thinking to have been overlooked for so long it would have to look a lot more similar than it does to a kentish which is the closest thing, there's no trace of the pronounced black eyestripe so white-faced's certainly descriptive!

Comment

Hi Dave

Congratulations on the discovery of this apparent cryptic Charadriid - C. albifacies? (!). Have any plans been made to collect a type series? and/or mistnet these individuals to obtain tissue and feather samples - then that's two birds with one stone: a genetic profile to dispel any nagging doubts on what these are and the opportunity to peform stable isotope analysis and hence work out where they're coming from. Maybe the specimen(s) might eventually be deposited at the planned Malaysian Natural History Museum .

Alex
                            Dept. of Zoology, University of Cambridge, UK

My website - Neotropical Bird Club -Tropical Forest Research - Punkbirder - Wikiaves

In natural science the principles of truth ought to be confirmed by observation. Carolus Linnaeus

Comment

We would just like to thank everyone who has sent us details of their sightings of these plovers since our article appeared. From the photographs received we know that they are occurring at sites in Vietnam and Thailand, as well as Malaysia, but no reports as yet from Singapore this winter.

It is coming up to the time when these birds should be leaving the wintering sites, so if you now should come across one lurking out there, we would be really pleased to hear about it.

A paper detailing these birds is in preparation and should be published later this year.
                              Last edited by Peter Kennerley; February 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X