Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gull on Flickr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gull on Flickr

    Photo on Flickr of a gull in Crimea: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26010780@N06/4601362009

    L. michahellis or L. cachinnans?

  • #2
    Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
    Photo on Flickr of a gull in Crimea: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26010780@N06/4601362009

    L. michahellis or L. cachinnans?
    definitely michahellis. there is a small(?) population breeding on rocks of the crimea.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lou View Post
      definitely michahellis. there is a small(?) population breeding on rocks of the crimea.
      I agree with Lou, of course.

      Brian S

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks! L. michahellis was my thought too, but that isn't mapped for Crimea in any of the recent maps, so I started doubting my ID (as my experience of both isn't too good).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
          Thanks! L. michahellis was my thought too, but that isn't mapped for Crimea in any of the recent maps, so I started doubting my ID (as my experience of both isn't too good).
          unfortunately it isn't mapped in any book for crimea, michael

          Comment


          • #6
            Another one, from wikipedia, please:
            http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ku_svobody.jpg
            Czech Republic. Click on pic to see full size.

            And this one, please?
            http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...vice_River.jpg
            Ostravice River, Czech Republic.
            Last edited by MichaelF; January 19th, 2012, 01:00 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
              Another one, from wikipedia, please:
              http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ku_svobody.jpg
              Czech Republic. Click on pic to see full size.

              And this one, please?
              http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...vice_River.jpg
              Ostravice River, Czech Republic.
              1st looks like an adult YLG (maybe 4/5cy) on structure although legs are just faint yellow.
              2nd looks like a 3rd cycle caspian but hard to be sure without seeing well the primary pattern.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks!
                Originally posted by lou View Post
                1st looks like an adult YLG (maybe 4/5cy) on structure although legs are just faint yellow.
                Even with that slender head, and slender bill with almost no gonys?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
                  Thanks!

                  Even with that slender head, and slender bill with almost no gonys?
                  that's within variation of YLG. but on a second look this bird has something of a herring gull. so it even might be a HG x cachinnans...the multiple mixed colonies not being too far awy...with that strange head shape, rel. slender bill and short strong legs with a rosy tingue. that might be the better option...an open wing would have helped of course...
                  Last edited by lou; January 20th, 2012, 08:03 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks!

                    Maybe some more pics later, I'm trying to sort out all the unidentified gull pics on wiki commons

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
                      Another one, from wikipedia, please:
                      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ku_svobody.jpg
                      Czech Republic. Click on pic to see full size.
                      P6 is slightly displaced in this bird, revealing a white tongue-tip to P7, which would be not so obvious if this was a Yellow-legged Gull, I think.
                      Primary projection looks a bit short for Caspian Gull, perhaps, but that could also be due to the angle of the bird towards the camera. Iris seems very pale too (though not outside of the range of variation).
                      It is very difficult to sort out birds like this when there are no flight shots.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks! So fairly safe to call it a probable hybrid argentatus cachinnans?

                        These from Istanbul, I'm thinking michahellis - that right?
                        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0695_nevit.jpg
                        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0690_nevit.jpg
                        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0744_nevit.jpg
                        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0747_nevit.jpg

                        And two more please, from Aktau, Kazakhstan (east shore of Caspian Sea):
                        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0%BB%D1%8C.jpg
                        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...1%8C%D1%8F.jpg
                        Last edited by MichaelF; January 20th, 2012, 10:27 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Anyone any thoughts on the last set, please?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
                            Thanks! So fairly safe to call it a probable hybrid argentatus cachinnans?

                            These from Istanbul, I'm thinking michahellis - that right?
                            http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0695_nevit.jpg
                            http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0690_nevit.jpg
                            http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0744_nevit.jpg
                            http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0747_nevit.jpg

                            And two more please, from Aktau, Kazakhstan (east shore of Caspian Sea):
                            http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...0%BB%D1%8C.jpg
                            http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...1%8C%D1%8F.jpg
                            no. it's not safe to ID that bird from chehia but it looks like a cach x argentatus (but we will not know it for sure).

                            the istambul gulls all look like michahellis although the 3rd one (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...0744_nevit.jpg) could also be a 2nd cycle cachinnans. but on probability it is a michahellis.

                            the 2 gulls from eastern caspian sea shore are interesting. combination of dark mantle and large white p10 tip with largish p9 mirror is just shown by some "eastern cachinnans" probably with barabensis genes. so, those are persumed hybrids cachinnans x barabensis. the second probably being a younger adult.

                            best,

                            lou

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Many thanks!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X