Ageing a Herring Gull

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ageing a Herring Gull

Not sure this is advanced so apologies if not. I am still learning how to age the large white-headed gulls and I thought perhaps this was an interesting one.

I think it is a 2nd winter (3rd cy) Herring Gull. However, having consulted books and Steve Arlow's amazing website, i don't think this bird is typical. It struck me as being very pale all over, reminiscent of GBB Gull and, apart from the primaries, all wing feathers and mantle/scapulars are heavily barred.

Now you can all tell me it's a normal Herring Gull!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bonsaibirder; March 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Hi Steve,

Looks fairly standard for a 3cy Herring Gull to me, it's only when you really grill them that you start to uncover the vast amount of individual variations, good fun though

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Barry65 View Post
      Looks fairly standard for a 3cy Herring Gull to me
      Thanks Barry - as I predicted - at least I got the age and species correct. After years of birding and generally ignoring Herring Gulls, I have a lot to catch up on.
      Cheers,
      Steve

Comment

Hi Steve.

As said by Barry itīs a 3cy Herring. (very variable species!). For a Herring that resembles a first winter (2cy by now) there are a few signs to go on.
        1. The tertials are not more or less plain coloured as on a 2cy but pale and barred as on your bird, which makes them 2nd generation.
        2. The primaries have rounded tips with a fresch white tip. On a 2cy (by now) the primaries would be of 1st generation (juvenil) and with more or less pointed tips.
        3. All the rest of the plumage - coverts, exept the scapulars, which are 3rd generation, are 2nd generation

This is a good site to look into:

http://www.gull-research.org/hg/HG1CY07.htm

JanJ

Comment

Hi Jan,
          Thanks for those pointers.
          Does this bird have less grey on the mantle that you might expect in March? Is the pale base to the bill also a pointer to 3cy? I have looked at the gull research site a few times and will try again - it can be quite bewildering!
          Steve
          Last edited by Bonsaibirder; March 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling
          Cheers,
          Steve

Comment

Working...
          X