Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tufted Duck?

Hi All

Perhaps I'm being a bit stupid but this bird caught my eye yesterday in Cornwall. I am thinking that it is probably just a first winter male Tufted Duck but a couple of things are confusing me. Firstly, It was the only male of 20 odd that showed brown flanks. Second, I have never seen such uniform brown flanks with such fine vermiculations (also so seemingly unworn in late Feb when they are so brown). Third the short tuft seems to give a peaked head type effect. Several other little features bother me slightly as well: The form of the brown patch at the front, the lack of any brown other than on the flanks and the very unworn tail/tertials?.

Anyone any comments? Am I just being stupid or is this either a late moulting bird or perhaps even a hybrid - if so with what? Is there a hint of white at the base of the bill?

http://surfbirds.com/albums/showphoto.php/photo/7621
    http://surfbirds.com/albums/showphoto.php/photo/7620
    http://surfbirds.com/albums/showphoto.php/photo/7619

Anyone any hints on how I can imbed pictures too??
    Last edited by Odonate; February 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM.

Hello Odonate,

I find it difficult to see anything other then "Tufty" here, but your photos are lacking a lot of detail. Are you doing any post processing on these? - they are under-exposed and it would be possible to "lift" a lot of detail from the darker parts of the images using "Levels" or "Highlights & Shadows" in Photoshop.

To embed an image you need to have a photo-hosting website (PBase, Photobucket, Flickr, etc) which will assign a unique URL to your images. You can then (when making a post) just click on the "image button" (postcard with mountains and stamp) on the bottom toolbar and copy your URL into the pop-up box.

* Except that I have just done precisely that, and it does not work!! (there appear to be some problems with image display in general on the forum at the moment).

So, here is a link to your image which I have "fiiddled with" and put on my PBase site

http://www.pbase.com/accentor/image/109513655

Colin

Comment

To embed an image you need to have a photo-hosting website (PBase, Photobucket, Flickr, etc) which will assign a unique URL to your images
      Since the pics now have a unique URL at surfbirds, this should work:

Edit: Oh well, it didn't!

Comment

Hi Colin and Michael F

Thanks for the confirmation that the image embed (imbed was an interesting typo from me!) is not working well.

Colin, as I said I am probably being stupid but this bird just didn't fit with my early Spring Tufted Duck search image. The photo was taken in bad light with a bad camera and the image was only cropped. I still have a lot to learn on image processing!
        Last edited by Odonate; February 23rd, 2009, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Certainly looks odd to me too. The profile of the flank patch has a bit of Ring-necked look to it, maybe a Tufty × Ring-neck hybrid?

Comment

Hi all, to embed an image, click on the little yellow box icon and enter the web address of the image. PLEASE NOTE: it should have a .jpg or .gif at the end of the address. If you don't see that, chances are you don't have the actual location of the image, just the page it is on. By the way, this rule of thumb probably also applies for photobucket, flickr etc as well.
            For the pics above, I added them in to Michael's post by going to the album page and right clicking on the image and selecting "copy image location", then going to the forum post, clicking on yellow icon and pasting the image location (just a copy and paste)
            ________
            mflb

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
              Hi all, to embed an image, click on the little yellow box icon and enter the web address of the image. PLEASE NOTE: it should have a .jpg or .gif at the end of the address. If you don't see that, chances are you don't have the actual location of the image, just the page it is on.
              I tried that but it did not give me a .jpg address. Could it be a Mac problem??

Comment

Hi, for Mac, instead of right clicking on the image, you press ctrl whilst clicking the mouse on the picture and you will get a pop-up and select "copy image address"
                ________
                Ford Landau (Australia)

Comment

I tried that (am also using a Mac) and can only get this tiny image:

Colin

Comment

And using my usual method (copying and pasting the URL directly from PBase) produces:

Ahh, it worked this time!!! (but copying the URL from Photobucket still does not work).

Colin

Comment

It looks odd to me with this very regularly patterned flank; also: have you any photo showing the tip of the bill better?

I am wondering if this could be a backcross of a hybrid like the Tufted x Ferrugineus duck here (2nd photo):

http://www.ruchet.com/canard-hybride.html

with a tufted duck.

I am not going to say it has to be ... but I am wondering about the possibility?

Cheers, Jörn

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Key View Post
                        And using my usual method (copying and pasting the URL directly from PBase) produces:

Ahh, it worked this time!!! (but copying the URL from Photobucket still does not work).

Colin
                        I am getting more and more confused about the image uploading process here. When I originally posted this the image URL copied from my PBase site worked - now it doesn't.

Colin

Comment

Hi Colin, seems to be a problem at pbase end. Both your link to the image at pbase (in one of your earlier posts): http://www.pbase.com/accentor/image/109513655
                          and the thumbnail you embedded seem to have been deleted from pbase. Presumably, you deleted it/moved it in your pbase account.
                          ________
                          vapir no2

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                            Hi Colin, seems to be a problem at pbase end. Both your link to the image at pbase (in one of your earlier posts): http://www.pbase.com/accentor/image/109513655
                            and the thumbnail you embedded seem to have been deleted from pbase. Presumably, you deleted it/moved it in your pbase account.
                            You are correct, and I am having another "senior moment". I have often used my PBase site to temporarily post images when I have attempted to help members with post-processing, etc. but with the intention of removing them in due course. "Due course" was actually this afternoon when I cleaned-up PBase and deleted the dubious Tufted Duck image.

Doh!!!

Colin

Comment

Good, glad we got that sorted and it's not a problem with the site!
                              ________
                              Chrysler Phoenix engine

Comment

Working...
                              X