Raptor ID please Portugal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor ID please Portugal

I shot this bird this afternoon. Very high and going very fast. Sorry for the bad quality. IŽm in doubt here, according to my books it could be a juvenile Golden Eagle?

How do you guys put those nice little tumbnails here?

Thanks,

Bert

Thanks,

Bert
    Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Not very good images Bert, but I think you have a Booted Eagle here.

Colin

Comment

Common Buzzard

Comment

Probably !!

Colin

Comment

Shearwater is right.

Brian S

Comment

That's no shearwater, brian.

It's a common buzzard.

Comment

If you mean by Common Buzzard, Buteo Buteo (my books are in Dutch) I have to disagree. The tail is way too long. And this raptor was big. I shot it with 636 mm. full zoom, but I couldnŽt focus because it went too fast. How about a Bonelli's Eagle?
              Last edited by Bert; June 29th, 2009, 09:25 PM.

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                If you mean by Common Buzzard, Buteo Buteo (my books are in Dutch) I have to disagree. The tail is way too long. And this raptor was big. I shot it with 636 mm. full zoom, but I couldnŽt focus because it went too fast. How about a Bonelli's Eagle?
                Buteo buteo is correct

Comment

The fact that Golden Eagle wingspan is between 187-219cm,and Bonelli's is 145cm-164cm (Forsman).....and you are happy to consider either species does not give much confidence as to just how 'big' this was!

Comment

Yes, and a Common Buzzard is a lot smaller and I know them very well from Holland. This was much bigger. But I guess my books are not the best. Fortunately I will have the Collins Bird Guide by the end of this week and that might help a lot.

IŽll try the next days to get better photos. We see this one quite a lot on our property.

Thanks,

Bert
                    Last edited by Bert; June 29th, 2009, 10:19 PM.

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Comment

Common Buzzard indeed.
                      www.extremaduraphotos.webs.com

Comment

It's a Buteo buteo.

Tail looks fine, and size is difficult to judge against a clear sky with no reference points and indeterminate distance. But plumage and structure is clearly a Common Buzzard.

Is there much point in asking if one disputes the unanimous opinion?!
                        Last edited by mafting; June 30th, 2009, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) It is very easy to misjudge size in bright sunlight with nothing else to compare size with.

Comment

Thank you all. Everyday we learn. IŽll put it as a Common Buzzard on my list.

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Comment

a Buteo for sure.... but I can't eliminate with 100% of confidence a Long-legged Buzzard from this pictures, may be a cirtensis... this could explain the eagle impression and the long tail... for sure however a Buteo (buteo?)

Andrea
                              ________
                              BlondyPerl live
                              Last edited by macrourus; September 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X