Bird ID please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird ID please

Shot this one today but canīt find it in my books. At least I canīt be sure. And yes I did order the Collins but I still havenīt received it.

Bert

Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Tawny Pipit Bert, I think it might be a juvenile.

Colin

Comment

Portugese id

Clearly a Woodlark to me

Comment

Originally posted by birder1804 View Post
        Clearly a Woodlark to me
        Absolutely, without doubt a Woodlark.

Comment

Originally posted by birder1804 View Post
          Clearly a Woodlark to me
          Me to.
          Note short tail and long supercilium. We donīt see the vide pale tips to the dark primary coverts propely but itīs surely hinted.

Janj

Comment

I do not see Woodlark at all with this bird.

Comment

Well I think it is Tawny Pipit, seen a few but I dont think it is a Woodlark (see plenty of them)

Comment

Agree it is 100% woodlark

Comment

The long primary projection beyond the tertials means that it's impossible for this bird to be a Tawny Pipit. It's a Woodlark.

Comment

Originally posted by mafting View Post
                    The long primary projection beyond the tertials means that it's impossible for this bird to be a Tawny Pipit. It's a Woodlark.
                    Totaly agree, as said by others as well its DEFINATELY a Woodlark. A.

Comment

http://www.pbase.com/njutaren/image/100875185

http://www.pbase.com/image/76058866

Apart from whatīs been said - note structure, the billshape and colour apart from that a juvenile Tawny or a Woodlark for that matter (making it an adult worn Woodlark), at this time of year would be perfectly fresh, or nearby so.

JanJ

Comment

Originally posted by JanJ View Post
                        apart from that a juvenile Tawny or a Woodlark for that matter (making it an adult worn Woodlark), at this time of year would be perfectly fresh, or nearby so.

JanJ
                        I think you're wrong there, JanJ - adult and juv Woodlarks both undergo complete summer moult, so both will be moulting at the moment (first broods juvs at least). Only examination of wear on feathers being dropped would separate them on age.

The bird is definitely moulting, as it seems to have dropped all/most of the median coverts (quills visible on the greater coverts). This wouldn't rule out a Tawny Pipit either though, as adults have complete summer moult and juvs have partial (probably involving some wing coverts and tail).

But it's not a Tawny Pipit anyway

Comment

Originally posted by mafting View Post
                          I think you're wrong there, JanJ - adult and juv Woodlarks both undergo complete summer moult, so both will be moulting at the moment (first broods juvs at least). Only examination of wear on feathers being dropped would separate them on age.

The bird is definitely moulting, as it seems to have dropped all/most of the median coverts (quills visible on the greater coverts). This wouldn't rule out a Tawny Pipit either though, as adults have complete summer moult and juvs have partial (probably involving some wing coverts and tail).

But it's not a Tawny Pipit anyway
                          Of course! And see:

http://www.ibercajalav.net/img/301_WoodlarkLarborea.pdf

JanJ
                          Last edited by JanJ; August 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JanJ View Post

Thanks for that link - what a great resource.

Comment

Woodlark 100%

Hi there,
                              Woodlark 100 % with black alula, short tail with lack of bright white outer tail feathers and nothing like Tawny Pipit!
                              Tawny Pipits are breeding now with young in the nest near the Loire estuary and I think Woodlarks there are now in the plumage like this Woodlark!
                              Kind regards a P pit spotter noting their weepeckers which are thinner than this stubby billed lark having a lark which is no p pit!

Comment

Working...
                              X