Help ID bird in Crete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID bird in Crete

I just found this bird in Chania, Crete. Although the iridescent back and the long bill remind me of a hummingbird, I read that there are no hummingbirds in Europe, and it was too large for a hummingbird. It was on the waterfront at the harbor and, when I first noticed it, it dove in the water for a fish like a kingfisher would. But it is small for a kingfisher. I'm guessing about 5 inches.
    Can anyone help identify this one? Thanks.
    Attached Files

Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) it is. Remember our Kingfisher is a lot smaller than Belted Kingfishers in North America!

PS welcome to the forum!

Comment

thanks for the help

Thanks! That was fast! I use WhatBird.com to help identify North American birds that are a mystery to me. Is there something similar for European birds?

Comment

one of our readers, Dr John Hayward created this European database:
        http://www.surfbirds.com/identifier/...itish-bird.htm

there's a simpler, more stripped down version here:
        http://www.surfbirds.com/ukbirdid.html

Just post pics here and you will get responses to those you get stuck on.
        Last edited by admin; December 7th, 2010, 05:41 AM. Reason: thought it said "China" in original post

Comment

Just in case you are interested, the all-dark bill suggests that this bird is a male COMMON KINGFISHER - superb shot - well done

Comment

Originally posted by TravelinAround View Post
            I just found this bird in Chania, Crete. ...
            Originally posted by admin View Post
            Do note China is not Europe, ....
            Errr .. . Ooops!

Comment

wow, that's some serious dyslexia - I need to slow down when reading posts - thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Working...
              X