Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Y-L Gull

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Y-L Gull

    I have 4 pictures of a Possible Yellow-Legged Gull.

    The 1st and 2nd pics are of a 1st bird, which is comparable to some LBBGs and shows a lighter tone, is it just a Common Gull? In both photos I'm looking at the Gull directly and centrely in the middle.

    I reckon I've got a stronger case with 3 and 4, which show slightly darker tones than BHGs but lighter than LBBGs. In picture 3 the Bird is on the very left, you can clearly compare with the darker LBBG. Picture 4 the Bird is in the middle, its larger than the other smaller Gulls and has a slightly darker back colour (But lighter than any LBBG should have).
    Attached Files

  • #2
    would that gull id relied on mantle colour alone... there isn't enough in any of your pics to give you a cast iron id of yellow legged gull. You need to get some good shots of the head in profile showing the red spot on the bill, the gonys angle, and the slope of the forehead... better shots of the primaries so the mirrors can be counted would also be helpful.
    A good book for Gull I D is Malling, Olsen and Larsson - Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America. Try your local library for a copy to have a look before you buy it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hiya, Old World Warbler,

      Your bird is a Lesser Black-backed Gull, albeit one with a pale mantle.

      Cheers,
      Josh
      Josh Jones
      http://joshrjones.blogspot.co.uk/

      Comment


      • #4
        LBBG, Common BHG and Mallard

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post
          I have 4 pictures of a Possible Yellow-Legged Gull. The 1st and 2nd pics are of a 1st bird, which is comparable to some LBBGs and shows a lighter tone, is it just a Common Gull? In both photos I'm looking at the Gull directly and centrely in the middle.
          It appears from your message that you are looking at two different birds/species over the 4 pics; in pics 1 & 2, your bird is an adult Lesser Black-back at an angle to the incident light which makes it's mantle appear paler than the others, and in 3 & 4 its a 2nd winter or older Common Gull! There's not much hope of you sorting out gulls if you can't find the same bird/species twice in a flock to photograph it!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Paul L View Post
            It appears from your message that you are looking at two different birds/species over the 4 pics; in pics 1 & 2, your bird is an adult Lesser Black-back at an angle to the incident light which makes it's mantle appear paler than the others, and in 3 & 4 its a 2nd winter or older Common Gull! There's not much hope of you sorting out gulls if you can't find the same bird/species twice in a flock to photograph it!!
            Shame number 3 is at least 10cm larger than a Common Gull. There maybe a Common Gull in the picture but not the bird I'm looking to get ID.'

            I've seen 11 species of gull in the uk since September 2011, so you can't tell me I can't separate gulls.

            Some hope after all!

            Azorean Atlantic Type Yellow-Legged Gull, present on Stewartby Lake 28/9.
            Caspian Gull, Stewartby Lake, November
            Med Gull, The Pillinge, 4/2
            Yellow-Legged Gull, Flyover Site 4/1
            Black-Headed, Common, LBB, GBB and Herring Gull, all 4/2 and many times before.
            Little Gull, Stewartby Lake 4/2
            Kittiwake, Norfolk, 13/9 and 16/9-23/9

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post

              I've seen 11 species of gull in the uk since September 2011, so you can't tell me I can't separate gulls.
              Yes, he can.
              Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

              For more information:

              Birdwatching Alentejo

              For Dutch:

              Vogels in Portugal

              Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

              You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

              Comment


              • #8
                OWW
                5 months experience and 11 species 'seen' do not make you an expert on gulls.
                I've seen 14 species of gull in the UK since 1980 and I know enough to hold my hand up and say I know nothing about gulls.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post
                  I've seen 11 species of gull in the uk since September 2011, so you can't tell me I can't separate gulls. Some hope after all!
                  And just how many of these 'species' did you find and identify yourself, rather than being shown them, I wonder?! As you are such an 'expert' on gulls with your five months of experience, how come you are still bothering us mere mortals with your gull ID queries?

                  You do have my apologies, though OWW. During the ordeal of reading your post, I misread your instructions re the 3rd pic. This doesn't alter the fact that your claimed Y-legged Gull is a Lesser Black-back, as other respondents have already told you. A gull with yellow legs doesn't necessarily make it a Y-legged Gull. Hopefully, you will soon realise that, in birding, 99.9% of the time your encounters will be with common species and it is only by learning to identify these in all their plumages that you will be able to pick out the 0.1% that will be rarities!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    Yes, he can.
                    Says the guy who's posted up roughly as many wanted IDs as me!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post
                      Says the guy who's posted up roughly as many wanted IDs as me!
                      Indeed! But I do not intent to know them all. And I am not questioning others opinions. I post to learn which might be a bit different?
                      Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

                      For more information:

                      Birdwatching Alentejo

                      For Dutch:

                      Vogels in Portugal

                      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

                      You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        Indeed! But I do not intent to know them all. And I am not questioning others opinions. I post to learn which might be a bit different?
                        A lot different, and much better. Happy learning!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thank you Dave!
                          Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

                          For more information:

                          Birdwatching Alentejo

                          For Dutch:

                          Vogels in Portugal

                          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

                          You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X