Crow mobbing a ...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crow mobbing a ...?

...Kestrel or Sparrowhawk? I know of a active S'Hawk nest roughly 50m away from where these shots were taken, although of what I saw, Kestrel sprang to mind immediately. The bird didhn't hover.

Beds, Uk.
    Attached Files

Look especially at the shape of the wings and the length of the tail in your second and third photos. Is it an Accipiter or a Falco?
    Russ Heselden

www.russheselden.co.uk

Comment

If you think I hadn't already tried.

I've leant my Collins to a freind, using my RSPB Pocket Guide.

The comparison in the book relies on colours, as it shows the Kestrel with a fanned tail and similar wings to the S'Hawk. The wings do look slightly more Sparrowhawk like, not pointy like a Kestrel is shown. But have never encountered a Sparrowhawk so wouldn't have any knowledge on the Bird. As for the Kestrel, I have a lot of experience with them, and my 1st thoughts were Kestrel. Falco wings are much 'pointier.'

My guide says a SAparrowawk can be seperated from Kestrel by 'shorter, blunter wings' but also says 'the difference is not so clear in soaring' which was what this bird was doing.

On the wing shape, they look blunter but it was soaring and with no previous Sparrowhawk experience, I'm putting my neck on the line and going with Sparrowhawk. I do know of a nest 50m from the site and that is pulling me away from Kestrel.

I WANT MY COLLINS!

Comment

Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post

I've leant my Collins to a freind, using my RSPB Pocket Guide.

The comparison in the book relies on colours, as it shows the Kestrel with a fanned tail and similar wings to the S'Hawk. The wings do look slightly more Sparrowhawk like, not pointy like a Kestrel is shown. But have never encountered a Sparrowhawk so wouldn't have any knowledge on the Bird. As for the Kestrel, I have a lot of experience with them, and my 1st thoughts were Kestrel. Falco wings are much 'pointier.'

My guide says a SAparrowawk can be seperated from Kestrel by 'shorter, blunter wings' but also says 'the difference is not so clear in soaring' which was what this bird was doing.

On the wing shape, they look blunter but it was soaring and with no previous Sparrowhawk experience, I'm putting my neck on the line and going with Sparrowhawk. I do know of a nest 50m from the site and that is pulling me away from Kestrel.

I WANT MY COLLINS!
        Am I right?

Comment

I'm putting my neck on the line and going with Sparrowhawk
          Good, you got there even without the Collins ... so is that a new one for your list?
          Russ Heselden

www.russheselden.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Heselden View Post
            Good, you got there even without the Collins ... so is that a new one for your list?
            Yes it is new, county tick 64 this year too.

I should try a bit harder on self ID in future, it's so confidence boosting when you get it right!

Thank you!

Comment

I do believe the penny may have finally dropped...

Comment

[QUOTE=shearwater2002;38344]

. As for the Kestrel, I have a lot of experience with them, and my 1st thoughts were Kestrel. Falco wings are much 'pointier.'

You need more!!
                I said I've never encountered a Sparrowhawk before, that's why I thought Kestrel, but on closer inspection, the wings drew me to Sparrowhawk, which was what it was. You've assembled two sentences from completely seperate sentences!

Comment

[QUOTE=Old World Warbler;38352]
                  Originally posted by shearwater2002

I said I've never encountered a Sparrowhawk before, that's why I thought Kestrel, but on closer inspection, the wings drew me to Sparrowhawk, which was what it was. You've assembled two sentences from completely seperate sentences!
                  On the other hand....

Comment

... But have never encountered a Sparrowhawk so wouldn't have any knowledge on the Bird ...
                    This guy has trouble identifying and has never before seen Sparrowhawk, yet professes to have seen/identified 15 gull species in Britain - including Caspian, Azorean Herring and Yellow-legged - in the past 5 months. When the penny finally does drop, the whole birding world will hear it!

Paul L

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                      This guy has trouble identifying and has never before seen Sparrowhawk, yet professes to have seen/identified 15 gull species in Britain - including Caspian, Azorean Herring and Yellow-legged - in the past 5 months. When the penny finally does drop, the whole birding world will hear it!

Paul L
                      6 months and I twitched half of them. Locations included: Med Gull (The Pillinge), Y-L Gull (Norfolk), A-Y-L Gull (Stewartby Lake), Caspian Gull (Stewartby Lake), Little Gull (College Lake NR), etc. A few I've seen more than once (Little Gull which I also saw at Stewartby). I CERTAINLY didn't identify all the Gulls I've seen, just twitched them.

Check with the locals if you like.

P.S. I saw 2 Sparrowhawks about 2 weeks before I started my list, they are only new for my list.

I'm getting very bored of you by the way, surely you've got better thngs to do than slate me off. Go birding, try and find yourself an Azorean Atlantic Type and Caspian Gull while you're at it.
                      Last edited by Old World Warbler; February 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I CERTAINLY didn't identify all the Gulls I've seen, just twitched them.
                        OWW - Don't take this the wrong way, it is intended to be constructive criticism.

If you didn't ID the birds then how do you know you were watching the right birds on your twitches?
                        If you are poling along to twitches, relying on some one else to point out the bird and ticking it without being able to id the bird for yourself then you are not doing yourself any favours.
                        I've been on a couple of twitches where completely the wrong bird has been ticked as the target bird by people who hadn't the foggiest idea what the target bird should look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith D View Post
                          OWW - Don't take this the wrong way, it is intended to be constructive criticism.

If you didn't ID the birds then how do you know you were watching the right birds on your twitches?
                          If you are poling along to twitches, relying on some one else to point out the bird and ticking it without being able to id the bird for yourself then you are not doing yourself any favours.
                          I've been on a couple of twitches where completely the wrong bird has been ticked as the target bird by people who hadn't the foggiest idea what the target bird should look like.
                          I was with other twitchers, some of which let me borrow their scopes. I do a bit of research on a bird before I twitch it, its obvious when you see a Little Gull next to your standard Black-Headed Gull. I find nearby Birds are sometimes very useful. I also take pictures of the Birds I see, and check them up, using books, internet or posting them online, just to be sure.

I'm pretty sure when 30+ Birders packed in a hide (Including some of the counties top birders) agree on the ID of a Med Gull, they're right.

I also said ALL of the Gulls I've seen, the only 2 I wasn't sure about, despite the fact everyone was saying it was, I got confirmed online (Caspian and Y-L Gull).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                            When the penny finally does drop, the whole birding world will hear it!

Paul L
                            Least I've got a bloody penny to drop!

And do think I care, not one single person in the 'Birding world' knows me. Who knows my real name, 'cos guess what, I'm not a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler, and who knows where I live, what I look like. Anybody? Didn't think so.

I never said 15 Species, it was 11, shame really. I don't know how often you expect me to go birding, but 15 that quick is a bit of a life-long achievement. Still waiting for Iceland, Glaceous etc.

The scary thing is, I quite enjoy anticipating you're next move, I'm excited about what you may post next.

And another thing, I'm a 'Senior member,' don't mess!
                            Last edited by Old World Warbler; February 19th, 2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Old World Warbler;38422 ... And another thing, I'm a 'Senior member,' don't mess![/QUOTE]

Interesting ... if the criteria for qualifying as a 'senior' member include the tally of posts made by a member, then you certainly qualify OWW. If, however, it were to depend on age and birding experience, then you wouldn't feature at all!

Take a few minutes to consider your position; if you were to show a willingness to take on board some of the very helpful advice offered by many other forum members who have attempted to come to your aid over the course of your interminable posts, a) you may learn something and, b) you may be better liked! Instead, you persist in annoying everyone to the point where responses to your ID queries are dwindling and you will eventually end up squeezing yourself out of the forum. Needless to say, your recent goose post doesn't disappoint in the entertainment stakes; neither does it warrant a response - other than to say that your IDs are way off the mark on all counts; just where in the pics are you looking for the features that you describe?

I'm beyond trying to offer help and encouragement to someone who seems determined to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
                              X