Pink-feet and Brents?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink-feet and Brents?

Posted these up elsewhere, but not had many replies.

The first pictures (1-3) are of a flock of Geese (22nd of Aug. last year). I was thinking they were Pinkfeet, arriving a few weeks earlier than usual. The coast would obviously be the first place they arrived. I was also unsure if there were any other goose species among, or if they were all just the same species.

The second batch (3-5 and Post #2) are black and white geese, also seen 22 Aug. last year. I was thinking along the lines of Barnacles, only because the face is so white, unlike a Brent or Canada. They have quite dark underbellies, which was swaying me D-B Brent's way, but the face is almost completely white with a black crown. The only goose that has a head so white would be a Barnacle.
    Attached Files

Some more Brent, Canadas or Barnacles.
    Attached Files

Comment

Reckon your second lot are Canadas.The white doesn't extend ove the whole face,but is a throat patch.Far too much white for Brent which have lines on the neck sides.
      Not sure about your first ones,if I come up with anything will get back

Comment

Originally posted by Pale Male View Post
        Reckon your second lot are Canadas.The white doesn't extend ove the whole face,but is a throat patch.Far too much white for Brent which have lines on the neck sides.
        Not sure about your first ones,if I come up with anything will get back
        I was told Brent by 2 people but there's too much White, I reckon Canada is probably the closest, but I wouldn't rule out Barnacle yet.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old World Warbler View Post
          I was told Brent by 2 people but there's too much White, I reckon Canada is probably the closest, but I wouldn't rule out Barnacle yet.

Cheers.
          Where were the photographs taken?

F.
          OBC John Peel Awesomeness
          The little things they make me so happy, all I want to do is live by the sea...

Comment

Originally posted by forktail View Post

F.
            There you go getting all technical...we don't want to let inconsequential details like known ranges and seasonal movements get in the way of a putative life tick now do we? You'll be asking about his camera equipment next.

Comment

Originally posted by Firecrest15 View Post
              There you go getting all technical...we don't want to let inconsequential details like known ranges and seasonal movements get in the way of a putative life tick now do we? You'll be asking about his camera equipment next.
              LIFE TICK?! I counted 98 Barnacle Geese at Willington GP just last week!

Comment

I donīt get it. you started this thread with:

"Posted these up elsewhere, but not had many replies.

The first pictures (1-3) are of a flock of Geese (22nd of Aug. last year). I was thinking they were Pinkfeet, arriving a few weeks earlier than usual. The coast would obviously be the first place they arrived. I was also unsure if there were any other goose species among, or if they were all just the same species.

The second batch (3-5 and Post #2) are black and white geese, also seen 22 Aug. last year. I was thinking along the lines of Barnacles, only because the face is so white, unlike a Brent or Canada. They have quite dark underbellies, which was swaying me D-B Brent's way, but the face is almost completely white with a black crown. The only goose that has a head so white would be a Barnacle."

Now you say:

"LIFE TICK?! I counted 98 Barnacle Geese at Willington GP just last week!"

So, if I understand correctly, you have identified 98 Barnacle Geese just last week but can not identify them later on?

"The only goose that has a head so white would be a Barnacle"

Is that correct? If so, you are not learning, just harassing this forum.

Admin, is this allowed?
                Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  I donīt get it. you started this thread with:

"Posted these up elsewhere, but not had many replies.

The second batch (3-5 and Post #2) are black and white geese, also seen 22 Aug. last year. I was thinking along the lines of Barnacles, only because the face is so white, unlike a Brent or Canada. They have quite dark underbellies, which was swaying me D-B Brent's way, but the face is almost completely white with a black crown. The only goose that has a head so white would be a Barnacle."

Now you say:

"LIFE TICK?! I counted 98 Barnacle Geese at Willington GP just last week!"

So, if I understand correctly, you have identified 98 Barnacle Geese just last week but can not identify them later on?

"The only goose that has a head so white would be a Barnacle"

Is that correct? If so, you are not learning, just harassing this forum.

Admin, is this allowed?
                  I identified 98 Barnacle Geese, at close range, last week, but just wondered what these birds were which were poorly photographed, and seen at a distance.

Admin, Admin, ban me, report me, I wants Bird ID!!

Comment

OBC John Peel Awesomeness
                    The little things they make me so happy, all I want to do is live by the sea...

Comment

It may just be me, but none of the birds in these pics look like 'black' geese (Brent/Barnacle/Canada) at all!? Given their poor quality (and my poor eyesight), they all look like 'grey' geese to me - in proportions, build and basic plumage pattern - that which is visible enough to assess at any rate. I think that the 'white faces' mentioned by some contributors are just artifacts caused by the poor resolution/severe cropping of the pics. The obvious large grey areas on the wings and the overall demeanour of the birds suggests Greylags to me. Sorry, but I just can't make them into anything else.

Comment

The perfect time to say:

Paul, go to specsavers!

Comment

Working...
                        X