Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swift or Pallid Swift? Confirmation please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swift or Pallid Swift? Confirmation please.

Took this photo today at the Santo André lagoon in the Alentejo region of Portugal.

Looks like a Swift to me but my Collins states that they are almost similar.

Thanks,

Bert
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bert; April 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM. Reason: Extra photos
    Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Its a Pallid Swift. Shot one is excellent and shows all the main features really well including the a clearly larger pale throat, scaly feathering to the body, translucent inner primaries and secondaries with darker outer primaries. You can just see the dark mask too.
    Steve
    A birdwatching guide to Lesvos
    www.lesvosbirding.com
    www.toadsnatcher.com
    Watching British Dragonflies

Comment

Agree Pallid and well done for capturing all the key features in the first picture.
      Russ

Comment

If these photos all refer to one bird then they illustrate the problems faced by rarities committees in NW Europe.

For some reason I started with the last, which looked black-bodied and with restricted white throat, and so a Common Swift, I thought; this was backed up by the third, which shows a dark rump - I associate a paler rump with Pallid; however, the first shows a more extensive white throat and pale/dark crescental marks on the body, like a Pallid. If they are all of the same bird, only one looks like a Pallid.

Brian S

Comment

Thank you Steve, Russ and Brian.

Brian, I think you are spot on. The big problem here is that it was a group of 10 and it seems that Common Swift and Pallid Swift join up together. Now, I do not know if one of you have tried to follow just one bird in a group of Swifts trying to make a photo but that seems to me almost impossible. I was happy enough to get some of them into focus to make the shot

So it is very well possible that the birds I took the photos of are as well Pallid Swift and Common Swift.

In that case I would have 2 to ad to my list of birds of which I have photos for my blog, which of course would make me very happy. But I want to be sure before I post them on my blog, so please help.

Bert
          Last edited by Bert; April 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM. Reason: extra text

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Comment

My view as well - started with 4th bird which could be Common Swift and finally arrived at 1st shot which is classic Pallid. Most useful series.

Comment

Bert

My opinion is that you have both Pallid (image 1) and Common Swifts (2,3,4).

Brian S

Comment

Thank you Seawatcheruk and Brian. That was very helpful!

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Comment

Just coming back to this thread and I was basing all my comments on shot 1 (clearly classic Pallid for me) and as eluded to in my earlier post and having only glanced at the other shots but not considering they were a different bird! Now Brian has pointed it out, yep, other shots are Common IMO too.
                  Steve
                  A birdwatching guide to Lesvos
                  www.lesvosbirding.com
                  www.toadsnatcher.com
                  Watching British Dragonflies

Comment

Thank you Steve.

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Comment

Working...
                    X