Unknown South African Finch...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown South African Finch...

Attached image is of a small flock of finch like birds taken at the roadside in Kruger National Park, South Africa on 2nd August 2010.

I've zoomed in on one (male) individual to help with ID.

Any suggestions ? Thanks - Darren
    Attached Files

Looks to be a female Yellow Bishop

Andy

Comment

So you're not happy with the I.D?

Acknowledgement that someone took the time to reply is basic good manners and costs nothing

A
      Last edited by andyadcock; May 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Hi Andy,

My apologies - no offence meant. I've been busy posting and simply neglected to post a reply. Your ID is really appreciated. You're right, basic manners cost nothing and there's no excuse really. I hope you can accept this apology and look forward to your help with future ID's.

Thanks - Darren

Comment

No problem Darren,
          I'm surprised no one else has commented on your bird.

Andy

Comment

Darren

I had not seen this post until today. This is a non-breeding male White-winged Widowbird.

Note the yellow on the coverts, which had made Andy think of female Yellow Bishop, but the jet-bleck centres to the coverts, tertials and secondaries hint at it being a n-br male and then note the white on the tips and edges of the greater coverts. These all ad up to W-w Widowbird.

http://www.warwicktarboton.co.za/birdpgs/829WWWid.html

Brian S

Comment

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply - I'm now going to do a detailed side-by-side comparison between online images of the n-br M White-winged Widowbird, a F Yellow Bishop and the bird in my picture. Really appreciate both your and Andy's input on this ID.

Thanks - Darren

Comment

Working...
              X