X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'seabird'

http://www.wikiaves.com.br/fotogrande.php?f=696152
    Dept. of Zoology, University of Cambridge, UK

My website - Neotropical Bird Club -Tropical Forest Research - Punkbirder - Wikiaves

In natural science the principles of truth ought to be confirmed by observation. — Carolus Linnaeus

A Shy-type Albatross?

Comment

Glad you mentioned albatross, as it does give that feel - except can you rule out Laughing Gull?

My website - Neotropical Bird Club -Tropical Forest Research - Punkbirder - Wikiaves

In natural science the principles of truth ought to be confirmed by observation. — Carolus Linnaeus

Comment

Working from 'not the best' photos is never easy, especially in contrasting light. In my opinion (enlarged crop attached) bill is that of an albatross, and the grey tone of the tail is wrong for a laugher. No white trailing edge either.

Pete
        Attached Files

Comment

Agree with an albatross; as well as the bill, the wedge-shaped tail and very straight wings are wrong for a gull.

Didn't put an answer on before, as I've no idea which species of albatross ;-)

Comment

By jizz I'd go with immature Yellow-nosed Albatross (due to seemingly very thin wings). Bill appears to have a dark tip though (but then many weird things going on with lighting so this could easily be an artefact). If the bill is true then immature Black-browed Albatross with surprisingly white (over-exposed?) head is the next best option. I don't think it's a shy-type as wings seem too narrow.

Comment

I think identification to species will prove impossible with this one shot, and judging shape from the one image pretty impossible (do the wings look narrow because of the angle?). My guess of Shy-type was largely influenced by the fact it appears to be quite grey-brown on the mantle/coverts, a feature I associate more with the Shy group. It does seem to show a darker distal area to a greyish bill (as would be seen in an imm Shy for example), though this may be reading too much into it. A guess is probably as good as one can do!

Cheers

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                I think identification to species will prove impossible with this one shot, and judging shape from the one image pretty impossible (do the wings look narrow because of the angle?). My guess of Shy-type was largely influenced by the fact it appears to be quite grey-brown on the mantle/coverts, a feature I associate more with the Shy group. It does seem to show a darker distal area to a greyish bill (as would be seen in an imm Shy for example), though this may be reading too much into it. A guess is probably as good as one can do!

Cheers

Pete
                I agree, most certainly an albatross and probably of Shy group for reasons already given.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I've emailed the photographer to try and get some more images and clarification - the image was taken in the Baia do Guajará, close to the mouth of the river Amazon and about 300 km from the nearest salt water (there is a huge freshwater plume that deters seabirds coming even close to the 'mouth' of the river normally). Given the perils of over-analysing a single image I didn't want to start shouting albatross without some feedback, especially given the location, but if everyone is happy...

Comment

a new image:

http://www.wikiaves.com.br/fotogrande.php?f=703894

Comment

I think we can rule out Laughing Gull Alex! Still looks like a Shy to me. Seems to have the nick in the black where it meets the body. Would assume an imm Shy/White-capped with the very pale looking head.

Cheers

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                        I think we can rule out Laughing Gull Alex! Still looks like a Shy to me. Seems to have the nick in the black where it meets the body. Would assume an imm Shy/White-capped with the very pale looking head.

Cheers

Pete
                        Certainly with the new image! Bear in mind though that this is bird is many hundreds of km from the nearest saltwater!

Comment

Working...
                        X