We see quite a few - Bahrain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin Key View Post
    I would not question Howard's integrity, but I also see a big problem between the original image and the later ones (hence my last post about Darren's identification).

The camera DOES lie (sometimes)!!

Colin
    Don't think so - but will check nevertheless
    Bahrain Birding - more than just a blog
    http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/index.php

Comment

Howard near enough gave the answer in the caption look at the photo blown up the wing tells you its a hawk.Goshawk is highly unlikely this leaves lavent sprawk shikra and common old garden sprawk. Lavent and shikra can be ruled out on the fact that they both have pale underwings leaving sprawk.I hope this in enough of an explaination for you Colin and I'm sorry if my grammer is not up to scratch but obviously my bird id is.

Darren

Comment

Can't do much to improve on Howard's original image, but still not convinced:

I honestly cannot tell whether we are looking at the upper or under-wing on this bird (I think it is upper-wing), but either way I cannot make it into the bird which Howard shows in close-up (and which is a def. Sparrowhawk).

Colin

P.S. Darren, I always have to check the book before I write Sparrowhawk - two words always seems more logical.

Comment

Originally posted by ML-S View Post
          The Lark.Those primary coverts are totally wrong for a WL, I'd say A.gulgula, or perhaps arvensis. Lesser STL has a stubbier bill.
          Hi ML-S,

I have had some PM exchanges with Howard about the lark; my first thought was Woodlark but then rejected that because, like you, thought those coverts were totally wrong and on a close look I didn't think that the super did meet at the nape. It was I who then suggested Lesser Short-toed, but now dismiss that based (again like you) on bill shape and also on length of hind claw. After discussing it with others we are also now back with Skylark.

Colin.

Comment

I have put copies of the original pictures sequence from which the ID pic was cropped as viewed in Nikon viewer hope you can read the data and timings
            The ID pic 10:22:05.7 _DSC5932.JPG
            next 10:22:06.8 _DSC5933.JPG
            next 10:22:07.9 _DSC5934.JPG
            next 10:22:08.4 _DSC5935.JPG
            next 10:22:08.8 _DSC5936.JPG

Total sequence time for the five pictures 3.1 secs

will next put up the same sequence of five pictures cropped so you can see it is in deed the same bird - the Sparrowhawk -
            Attached Files

Comment

here are the cropped images from the 3 sec sequence.. make of this information what you will but the ID remains the same a Sparrowhawk
              Attached Files

Comment

I see Sparrowhawk here Howard, but I do not see Sparrowhawk in your initial "Mystery Bird" image however much I look at it, nor do I follow Darren's thinking on arriving at Sparrowhawk from that one image.

Even excellent images of Accipter sp. can be confusing, so I have to say that this one was a "dirty trick" - but keep 'em coming (better than watching the telly ).

Colin

Comment

Colin
                  It is very simple the first image is obviously an Accipter Sp on wing shape on alone. I don't understand the lower/ upper wing thing you only see that sort off barring from the underside unless you are looking at a bird from space with sun under it.Also Colin you did not see Desert Warbler in the last of Howards photo's
                  Last edited by darrenjhughes; December 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM. Reason: Thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Key View Post
                    I see Sparrowhawk here Howard, but I do not see Sparrowhawk in your initial "Mystery Bird" image however much I look at it, nor do I follow Darren's thinking on arriving at Sparrowhawk from that one image.

Even excellent images of Accipter sp. can be confusing, so I have to say that this one was a "dirty trick" - but keep 'em coming (better than watching the telly ).

Colin
                    Actually I thought pic showed too much however its easier to post a picture than it is to ID one still will move on -- next one and last for this year going up soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X