We see quite a few - Bahrain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We see quite a few - Bahrain

Am in the process of seeking out further contenders for ID - have a lot of bad images but only really want to put up one's where I have a decent image also to confirm ID. In the mean time here is what surely must be an easier one.
    Attached Files
    Bahrain Birding - more than just a blog
    http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/index.php

Easy? A 1cy female Honey Buzzard! (light phase)
    Last edited by ML-S; December 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

sorry not so

Comment

Sparrow Hawk

Comment

And your Lark looks good to me for Woodlark there is an Eastern population (pallidia) which could turn up in your neck of the woods.They always look dumpy and short tailed in flight(Did it call very distinctive in flight)Thinking about it have you looked at Oriental Skylark could be a better option the breast streaking would fit better I have only ever seen two and that nearly 20 years ago
          Last edited by darrenjhughes; December 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM. Reason: Looking again

Comment

Originally posted by darrenjhughes View Post
            And your Lark looks good to me for Woodlark there is an Eastern population (pallidia) which could turn up in your neck of the woods.They always look dumpy and short tailed in flight(Did it call very distinctive in flight)Thinking about it have you looked at Oriental Skylark could be a better option the breast streaking would fit better I have only ever seen two and that nearly 20 years ago
            This post will probably confuse the sh... out many - the lark in question can be found at http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/id_stub.php
            Yes have considered Oriental we have a few around in with the flocks of Skylarks but the wing trailing edges and outer tail feathers would be buffish. Lesser Short toed has been suggested just felt it too heavily marked on the chest and the toes too long but still think that might remain an option. Didn't call sadly

As to your quiz answer well will see what others think -
            Last edited by Howard King; December 12th, 2009, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Long-legged Buzzard?

Colin

Comment

The Lark.Those primary coverts are totally wrong for a WL, I'd say A.gulgula, or perhaps arvensis. Lesser STL has a stubbier bill.
                Last edited by ML-S; December 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I agree with you Colin, a Long-legged it could be, with that pale patch on the primaries and the pale head as well.
                  Last edited by ML-S; December 12th, 2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Not a Long-legged Buzard -

Comment

Marsh Harrier?

Comment

Originally posted by Firecrest66 View Post
                        Marsh Harrier?
                        No sorry -- but think I should own up to the fact that Darren Hughes actually got it right with Sparrow Hawk so in not saying OK then I might have mislead a few people still another top mark for Darren.

The next picture in the initial sequence is the first one attached here - the Sparrow Hawk missed the Palm Dove and as a consequence I missed the shot I had anticipated wrongly. I continued to follow it round the field and watched as it circled back then clicked the camera to continuous mode as it headed down the track straight towards me I focused the camera on a nearby sprinkler and waited as it passed through the frame - only one shot really turned out and I have added that as well below not the best shot I have taken but for a 500mm lens I was pleased with the result. Today I watched a Hobby do the same but had my bins in my hand not the camera.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would very much like to hear Darren "talking us through" how he arrived at Sparrowhawk from Howard's first image?

By the way, the accepted common name is "Sparrowhawk", not "Sparrow Hawk" .

Colin

Comment

A beautiful ad male Sprawk, but not in the quiz image, You stumbeled somewhere, I'm afraid...
                            Or maybe I'm totally wrong. You said it's an easy one, I don't think so...
                            Last edited by ML-S; December 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ML-S View Post
                              A beautiful ad male Sprawk, but not in the quiz image, You stumbeled somewhere, I'm afraid...
                              Or maybe I'm totally wrong. You said it's an easy one, I don't think so...
                              I would not question Howard's integrity, but I also see a big problem between the original image and the later ones (hence my last post about Darren's identification).

The camera DOES lie (sometimes)!!

Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X