X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now an easy one from Portugal

Shot also yesterday:
    Attached Files
    Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Chiffchaff?

Comment

I'll go with Chiffchaff too.

Colin

Comment

It seems Bert likes Chiffy's.

Will go for Willow warbler.

Seedy Gambian birder.
        Birding Gambia

Comment

I think i'll go for willow warbler too...

Comment

Willow Warbler in Portugal at this time of year, especially with this horrendous weather, is not very likely.

Colin

Comment

I would say it can only be a Chiffchaff - on the wing the lenght of p 3,4,5,6 are very close
              For Bonelli's, Willow and Wood this is not so
              Attached Files
              Bahrain Birding - more than just a blog
              http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/index.php

Comment

"Colin KeyWillow Warbler in Portugal at this time of year, especially with this horrendous weather, is not very likely."

Colin

You would think that but the other day when i was in london, watching the dusky warbler which is there, in rain, sleet and snow a willow warbler come on the pager at the London wetlands centre singing and had been for a few days, i think it must have a been a little confused?!

Andy

Comment

a willow warbler come on the pager at the London wetlands centre singing and had been for a few days
                  No mention of this on Birdguides!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
                    No mention of this on Birdguides!
                    Nor on the LWC Twitter

Comment

"London Wetland Centre: 2 Bitterns (Wildside), Water Pipit, 4+ Cetti's Warblers, c85 Lapwing, also 3 Bitterns, 6 Pintail, 2 Rock Pipits, Willow Warbler (present for 4th day inc. subsong)"

well according to the pager messege, (not sure who there with) and on this london bird club which i use if going birding in london it was there!

Andy

Comment

Reiterating more or less what Howard said, you can produce an "imaginary" closure of the wing to produce a relatively short primary projection. Plus, the 'super' is very indistinct. I have never seen a Willow Warbler in Algarve (much further south than where Bert is) at this time of year in the past thirteen years.

Come on Bert, WTF is it?

Colin

Comment

Willow warblers are ofcourse not thought of as a wintering species in Britain but im sure through the years one or two might have stayed, this winter a Whitethroat was caught in devon (17th jan) and a lesser whitethroat has been seen in notts so i dont seen no reason why a willow warbler couldnt servive?
                          The chiffchaffs, blackcaps and cettis warblers manage okay too!
                          Like i said its on the pager and the london bird club, i didnt see it just herd that there was one there.. a strange record if it was one!

Andy

Comment

But Berts Bird if he ever replies is still not one
                            Bahrain Birding - more than just a blog
                            http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by andy22 View Post
                              Willow warblers are ofcourse not thought of as a wintering species in Britain but im sure through the years one or two might have stayed, this winter a Whitethroat was caught in devon (17th jan) and a lesser whitethroat has been seen in notts so i dont seen no reason why a willow warbler couldnt servive?
                              The chiffchaffs, blackcaps and cettis warblers manage okay too!
                              Like i said its on the pager and the london bird club, i didnt see it just herd that there was one there.. a strange record if it was one!

Andy
                              I still cannot find confirmation of this bird Andy, and "Googling" the "London Bird Club" produces some interesting results!!!

Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X