Mystery Photo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Photo

Here is another mystery bird for you to try your luck with. At least this one is in focus unlike my last effort so is porbably a lot easier? I suspect this will not cause too many problems but I would say that as I know the answer!

Photograph taken in Eastern Saudi Arabia last week.

Good luck
    Jem
    www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com
    Attached Files

Shorelark ???

Comment

Originally posted by Jem Babbington View Post
      Here is another mystery bird for you to try your luck with. At least this one is in focus unlike my last effort so is porbably a lot easier? I suspect this will not cause too many problems but I would say that as I know the answer!

Photograph taken in Eastern Saudi Arabia last week.

Good luck
      Jem
      Pipit? Water?

Comment

Water Pipit (Anthus spinoletta coutelli)

Shore Lark do occur in Saudi Arabia in the winter but this bird was a Water Pipit of the race Anthus spinoletta coutelli. The species is a common winter visitor to the region with this sub-species being the only one I have seen and all ringed birds from Bahrain also being this sub-species.

Here is a slightly better photogrpah of the same bird.

They are not easy to photograph as they are normally very flighty but I got lucky with this one.

A few photographs of birds in the hand and some ringing details of the sub-species are shown here http://www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com/20...coutellii.html for anyone who is interested.

Jem
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jem

Thanks for the photo, which is typical of the birds in Kuwait at this time of year and very different to those I see in Suffolk in the winter.

Obviously, in the ME the race is coutellii and here the race is nominate spinoletta. Coutellii seems quite different and is characterised by a paler, greyer head and pale hind collar contrasting with a more golden brown mantle, the underparts are off-white, with indistinct greyish black streaking - a brownish orange-white background (on breast) develops, not at all like the salmon-pinky colour in spring birds here in Suffolk.

Furthermore, the call is more rolling, more 'rrr's in it than those in Suffolk and quite distinct - which btw I have heard once in Suffolk two winters ago.

Brian S

Comment

Working...
          X