Glossy Ibis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossy Ibis

I'm sure I have this one right,,a glossy ibis.

Can anyone tell me what the rarity status of this bird is please?

Thanks

Rod
    Attached Files

ID is correct and some nice photos. Used to be reasonably rare but recently there have been quite a few around. Probably 5-10 in the UK at the moment.

Comment

Yep, Glossy Ibis. Formerly very rare, but increasing rapidly in the last few years following much better protection in Spain; looks like it might be the next 'Little Egret'. Still scarce enough to be worth reporting, though.

Comment

Thanks

5-10 birds in the UK,,,,poor little Ibis,,hope he can find a mate.

Well at last I manged to get a rare/ish bird all that hanging about wondering if my feet are still actually attached to my legs has paid off.

When you say "report" the bird,,who should I report to please?

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerrod View Post
          5-10 birds in the UK,,,,poor little Ibis,,hope he can find a mate.

Well at last I manged to get a rare/ish bird all that hanging about wondering if my feet are still actually attached to my legs has paid off.

Probably nearer 40 in the uk at moment with a flock of 23 in Pembrokeshire the other day and 7 on eigg plus several singles. Nice record.
          James

Birding Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerrod View Post
            Best to report to Rare Bird Alert when you find something this good, but if this bird was at Brading Marsh RSPB in St Helens (IoW) then they already know about this one.

The current influx is impressive... but still very few making it over to the east side of the country.

Comment

Yep! Brading Marshes

Correct Dave,,it is Brading Marshes.
              This place is getting better by the year.
              BUT,,you can't walk over it,,,the footpaths are quite strict and area is massive,,acres of land.
              Great for spotting telescopes,,but unless your lucky and the creature comes to the boundry,,it's not easy with camera's.
              This Ibis was right on the boundry fence,,hence the good shots.

Comment

Ye jammy bugger, Rod! I never did get a Glossy. If that thing had turned up back when I was in Pompey? I'd have been on the ferry faster than ye could say " Tick "!

Great to hear they're doing so incredibly well now. What a fantastic looking bird to have around!

Yeppers. I'm envious as all hell!

Comment

Last week we have seen over 300 at the Santo André lagoon in the Alentejo region of Portugal. It was to much to capture them in 1 photo but here are some examples:
                  Attached Files
                  Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Comment

Originally posted by appleton.dave View Post
                    The current influx is impressive... but still very few making it over to the east side of the country.
                    Four glossy ibises were seen in east Norfolk in March. One ringed 01N1or O1N1.

These birds were resident at Cantley Marshes from 17 to 26 March 2012.

Relocated at Braunschweiger Rieselfelder east of Hanover Germany

Photo from 28 March on web at club300.de

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Woolnough View Post
                      Four glossy ibises were seen in east Norfolk in March. One ringed 01N1 or O1N1.
                      Good thing it wasn't H1N1

Comment

Working...
                      X