Nightjar New Forest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightjar New Forest

My neighbour, who is sadly pretty ill, would love to hear and see a Nightjar. I used to go to Chilworth (outskirts of Southampton) as there were a pair (at least) behind what was then called the Clump Inn (very handy). I think they have long gone and so the New Forest was the obvious next choice for me (I live in Southampton).

I thought of Beaulieu Road - anybody better site suggestions? The main factor is not having to walk too far (she can't walk very far at all) and flat if possible. I have seen them off the A35 near Christchurch (Hinton Admiral -ish) but that was years ago, and also one near the A31 at the Burley turnoff, so I guess they are pretty widespread.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Rob S

They are still near Christchurch I assume you mean Guss Common on the A35 also Woodcock there.

Comment

Yes that's the place, and I remember the Woodcock, in fact I think there' only been one occasion I have seen a Nightjar but not a Woodcock!

Can you still drive up that dodgy track or is that closed off, I vaguely remember it would be a bit of a walk there if not? (It's over 12 years since I went there)

Thanks

Rob S

Comment

Mission accomplished. For anyone interested I tried the piece of land over the road from Pig Bush (scene of the Roller back in 1986) and saw two on Friday night from about 21.45 onwards. Oh and a Woodcock of course!

Rob S

Comment

Working...
        X