Non-Motorised Year List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offh

The wintery weather over the Xmas / New Year holidays seemed to have encouraged (or forced !) a few more birders round our way to leave their cars at home.

Luckily ive been out most days this year, but unluckily missed my target of 100 by end of January by 1 day . . . dipped a returning local Oystercatcher - never thought of checking his nest island round the corner - thats were he'd been hiding at the weekend !

Onto 101 On Foot From Home.

Highlights being Bittern, BNGrebe at spitting distance, inland Knot, WFGoose, Mealy Redpoll, Glauc, Iceland & Med Gulls, drake Pintail, Waxwing.
    3 seperate cock Bullfinch singing in the sun yesterday were just as pleasing.

Steve

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SteveE View Post
      Onto 101 On Foot From Home.

Highlights being Bittern, BNGrebe at spitting distance, inland Knot, WFGoose, Mealy Redpoll, Glauc, Iceland & Med Gulls, drake Pintail, Waxwing.
      That's quite a home patch you've got there!
      Andy, The Travelling Birder

Comment

...although with hardly moving an inch Lesser Black-backed Gull has moved me up to 65!

Comment

70 now with Stock Dove, reed buntings, a lone siskin and finally a male kestrel.

Comment

Mediterranean Gull, Portishead pushes me up to 71.

Comment

A sudden acceleration to 76 with Mystery Grebe, Portbury Wharf.

Comment

White head with a black crown is Slav Grebe
                Attached Files

Comment

It was Slav as it happens, but the bird was so distant that my description was pieced together from bits and pieces of views - not the sort of thing a rarities committee would accept!

Comment

Don't think any UK records committee would have any trouble accepting that, it's so obviously a Slav from the description . . . and they're not rare, it's not like you're trying to get a Pied-billed Grebe past them

Comment

Rats! I missed pied-billed from my percentage table.

It's true: UK-wide Slavonian grebe is not rare. That's why I didn't hurry it out to the bird lines: I've lived in Scotland where I'd pick up several records a year. But apparently that's only the second sighting for the species at Portbury, and Avon gets about one a year. It's caused some excitement around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerbird View Post
                        Slavonian grebe is not rare. That's why I didn't hurry it out to the bird lines: I've lived in Scotland where I'd pick up several records a year. But apparently that's only the second sighting for the species at Portbury
                        Oops! Fourth record, it seems. Anyway, another trawl round Portbury Wharf took me up to 80 species.

Comment

And One Hundred now.

Comment

Working...
                          X