Non-Motorised Year List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Motorised Year List

In an attempt to Cut those Birding Car Miles I thought I'd do this list next year. But does non-motorised mean strictly that? i.e. no buses or trains either?
    Andy, The Travelling Birder

The link clearly shows trains are allowed, and he (apparently grudgingly!) accepts busses too. I guess one can argue that they'll be keeping to their timetables anyway, so not using them won't cut fuel use.

Don't forget a bike too . . . I got Eastern Crowned Warbler by bike this year

PS welcome to the forum!

Comment

As always, these things are never as straightforward as they sound! There is a good site for information about "green" birding in general, or "BIGBYs", which we use as a basis for green birding on BUBO Listing. We distinguish three types of green list:
      1. Foot - true green lists, where all birds recorded must be whilst walking from your home or place of work
      2. Non-motorised - as above, but forms of non-motorised transport (e.g. bicycle, canoe) are allowed as well
      3. Public transport - birds recorded without using any non-motorised transport except for scheduled public transport (ground or water transport only, e.g. buses, trains, ferries - no planes allowed!)
      So you might be interested in keeping a "Green: public transport" list, or even all three!

If you are interested you can keep these types of lists on BUBO Listing, as well as combinations of life lists, year lists, local patch lists etc.
      Cheers
      -- Mike --

Want a signature like this?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. (I now have to find out if Surfbirds notifies me of them!) I still have a dilemma since I've driven up to Scotland but not used the car for any of this year's list. I guess the questions could go on and on.

PS. I've found the email notification box.

Comment

You should've really got the train & bus to Scotland, but I don't think anyone will ban you for not doing so

I'm on 39 for my yearlist, all on foot (too icy to use my bike!) best birds Pink-footed Goose (250 flying over S to escape the weather) and Woodcock, and most 'quirky' fact, 5 sightings of Sparrowhawks before getting either Starling (#33) or House Sparrow (#34).

Comment

By foot only so far this year, managed to see 34 species, best being a Water Rail a first for this particular site for me. As i gave up my car due to health reasons, it will be interesting to see what my end of year totals will be like.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
              You should've really got the train & bus to Scotland, but I don't think anyone will ban you for not doing so

I'm on 39 for my yearlist, all on foot (too icy to use my bike!) best birds Pink-footed Goose (250 flying over S to escape the weather) and Woodcock, and most 'quirky' fact, 5 sightings of Sparrowhawks before getting either Starling (#33) or House Sparrow (#34).
              I guess technically I should restart the list when I get back down to Portishead and will do so; but for now it stands at 38. Where are you located, with woodcock and all?

Comment

Southeast Northumbs; the Woodcock is a "snow refugee", they commonly turn up in unexpected places after heavy snow displaces them from their usual wintering areas up in the hill woodlands.

Up to 41 now with Kingfisher and Goldfinch.

Comment

set off from home walking in 5" of fresh snow at 7am on NY's morning
                  set ourselves & managed our target of 5 owl species - all seen.
                  one of our first birds was Kingfisher active at @ 7:15, well before it got light.
                  71 species during the day (we came home & got warmed through for an hour at half time)
                  8 White Fronted Geese were unexpected to say the least, as were 1,200+ Pinks moving over too - including a huge straggling flock of 750. Typical thorn scrub areas holding decent nos with 30Bullfinch, 8Willow Tit, but thrushes moving away overhead all morning.
                  A large redpoll "got away" . . . presumably a Mealy ? Couple each of Stock Dove, Water Rail, Goldeneye, Sparrowhawk, Woodcock, Pochard, Treecreeper, Snipe with singles of Stonechat, Heron, GSW, Redshank, Nuthatch, Linnet & R~~~~ duck.

very little since, Curlew added, but hard work, the novelty of 3 weeks snowcover has well & truly worn off now

Comment

I've been keeping a non-motorised list the last couple of years. I go by the BIGBY rules that Mike linked to. I just keep to the public transport one as it incorporates the first two (foot only and bicycle etc.) I went out on Jan 1st on my bike, but as I get to work by bus, where my patch is, I find it easier to keep just the one list, which I've now posted on BUBO.

The previous years I've got between 150-170, this was in Suffolk only.

Gi
                    Wildlife Around Melton

Comment

Car-Free Year Listing

Wow! Some impressive totals here. I've finally managed to start with 40 in Portishead.

Comment

And now I'm up to 51, including Rock Pipit & Blackcap.

Comment

61, the latest being Black Redstart & Merlin.

Comment

82 here, by bike and on foot.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
                              82 here, by bike and on foot.
                              Nice one. Looks like you'll win the race to 100 although I'm pleased to have matched your earlier woodcock. (Actually, the Biking Birder is up to 120 already.)

Comment

Working...
                              X