No announcement yet.

Ads Art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent paintings Adam. Just as a matter of interest, have you any idea how many hours it takes for you to complete an "average" plate (I realise that you do not complete one in a single sitting).

Colin

Comment

Hey Colin

I try not to even work out how many hours it takes to do a complete plate....'coz if I did, I'd then know my hourly rate and probably want to commit suicide!!!
      It all depends how 'into' it you get also.....if I'm painting a whole load of LBJs then the interest level does tend to wane, sometimes to the point where I'll start another and go back to the original at a later date. Some birds, like the majority of larks for instance, are roughly the same colours with slightly different markings and these would be a drag after a while, but something like barbets would keep the interest far more. I've always wanted to do a Hummingbird book for the Helm monograph series but have always been told it's a no-go.....unsure why as it would sell like hotcakes I'd've thought!!
      www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

Wouldn't that still leave you with 400 dull green-grey females and immatures, though?

Has anyone ever thought of using reflective metallic paint to do hummingbird pics?

Comment

Thought of that Michael - but they'd be interspersed with the stunning males so it would be worth it! Not sure how metallic paint would copy over in the printing process. I'd paint a male to show the iridescence as in full sunlight as this is obviously when they look best and do a smaller 'thumbnail' to show them in less than flattering light and how different they can look
          www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

I can't imagine why Helm wouldn't go for a Hummingbirds monograph - they're such an iconic (and huge) group that I would have thought, like you, that the book would be very popular. I was trying to get to grips with them in Ecuador this summer ... 47 species seen but I never got tired of them. Bewildered, yes, but never tired! Favourite species? Possibly Long-tailed Sylph.

Would American publishers be interested? (e.g. a Houghton Mifflin guide in the 'Peterson' Series? - they already have a North American hummer guide).

Your illustrations are, as always, fantastic. I've been working through your website and particularly enjoyed the White-tailed Plover sketches! More power to your elbow / wrist / fingers.

Russ Heselden

www.russheselden.co.uk

Comment

Wow.....has it been 10 months since posting here...? Holy c r a p - I have been busy...honest!! Well for those of you that don't visit 'the other side' here's the latest painting I've completed that will be on show in London at the SWLA exhibition from next week. I'll post the stages as I personally like to see how other go about their artwork too:

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (Large).jpgKruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (1) (Large).jpgKruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (2) (Large).jpgKruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (3) (Large).jpgKruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (4) (Large).jpg
              Last edited by birdboybowley; October 21st, 2011, 01:56 PM.
              www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

And here's the finished painting!

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! (Large).jpg

And some details from it.......(quite like the last one as a pic in its own right!)

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! detail (1)a (Large).jpgKruger BBQ - all you can eat! detail (2)a (Large).jpgKruger BBQ - all you can eat! detail (5)a (Large).jpg

Oh btw, the bloody Melanesia book has finally been released and even though very few of my plates resemble the layouts in which they were originally painted, it is a relief to finally see it!
                www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

Beautiful Adam!
                  My Surfbirds Photo Albums

Comment

Cheers Andy.
                    How you doing?
                    www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

With a baby and a 3 year old, no time to paint!
                      My Surfbirds Photo Albums

Comment

Originally posted by birdboybowley View Post
                        And here's the finished painting!

[ATTACH]4839[/ATTACH]

And some details from it.......(quite like the last one as a pic in its own right!)

[ATTACH]4840[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4841[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4842[/ATTACH]

Oh btw, the bloody Melanesia book has finally been released and even though very few of my plates resemble the layouts in which they were originally painted, it is a relief to finally see it!
                        Great stuff Adam, love the finished painting. How big is it in real life?

Cheers, Neil.

Comment

Hey Neil

Cheers
                          It's roughly 75x55cm.

Ads
                          www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                            With a baby and a 3 year old, no time to paint!
                            I can only imagine!! But congrats on the expanding family anyways
                            www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

Just finished a small painting. It was done as a thankyou to the owner of the driving school I used to work for. He's just helped me out with some pointers and training for an obligatory instructor's test to maintain my licence and never asked for anything in return, So, I did this for him instead - and yes, his name's Robin!! (Corny I know....)

Robin (Large).jpg
                              www.adambowleyart.com

Comment

Working...
                              X