Photo critique please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
    Photoshop (I'm assuming that's what you're asking!)
    Is it the full "Photoshop CS" (now on version 4) or "Photoshop Elements" (latest version is 7 for a PC, 6 for a Mac)?

Colin

Comment

Is it the full "Photoshop CS" (now on version 4) or "Photoshop Elements" (latest version is 7 for a PC, 6 for a Mac)?
      Sorry, no idea! Ah, looked, it is "Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0"

Comment

does neat image work with any of the elements series?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by michael23 View Post
          does neat image work with any of the elements series?
          Yes, it does. I never had PS Elements 5, I went from v4 to v6. I think that you would find the new features of v7 (available for PC but not Mac) are a great improvement on v5; I am nor sure whether you can buy an "upgrade" (via download) or if you have to but the whole package again. The Adobe site should tell you.

Colin

Comment

Michael,

Neat Image is not the only NR program available. The other two front runners are "Noiseware" and "Noise Ninja" (Google them). Noiseware gets very good reviews but I found it was not fully compatible with a Mac. All of these have a free trial download if you visit their websites.

Colin

Comment

hi Colin

first time I've tried this insert lark so if it doesnt work its a Robin in my album! I tried to follow your suggestions on my Redshank in PSE7 the only thing missing is NR software. I hope you dont mind but I have sent to you the NEF of this so as you have something to compare it to! look forward to your comments
              cheers
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Anseralbifrons View Post

hi Colin

first time I've tried this insert lark so if it doesnt work its a Robin in my album! I tried to follow your suggestions on my Redshank in PSE7 the only thing missing is NR software. I hope you dont mind but I have sent to you the NEF of this so as you have something to compare it to! look forward to your comments
                cheers
                Paul
                Hello Paul,

Received the RAW image O.K. via email.

To insert an image into a post you need to have it uploaded to a photo-hosting website such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc (I use Photobucket and PBase - hate Flickr) which will assign your image a unique URL (Uniform Resource Locator), a string of words, codes and numbers which identify your image on the Web. You then copy & paste that URL into the drop-down box which appears when you click the image icon (postcard of mountain with stamp) in the second line of the header. BUT, you must ensure that the URL ends with "-------.jpg". Some URL allocators do this, some don't.

When you do upload an image I would suggest that the image size is no greater than 850 pixels on the longest edge (unless it is a "pano" when you could go to 1200) but at maximum file-size (i.e. image quality).

Your shot of the Robin is very good but I felt that: 1. It is too small in the overall picture and a lot of the twigs and foliage are distracting, and 2. The fact that it is a back-lit "contra jour" shot leaves little room for manipulation.

So, I have heavily cropped the image, adjusted "highlights & shadows" to lift more detail from less well-lit parts of the bird, increased colour saturation, brightness and contrast, applied noise reduction with Neat Image, and sharpened with "unsharp-mask" as much as I could to make the image "crisp" without introducing JPEG artifacts (false bright pixels at edges of high contrast). I then reduced the image dimensions and applied another pass of "adjust sharpness" (not as vicious as "unsharp mask") before saving as a maximum quality JPEG.

This processing (in PS Elements 6 on a Mac) took me less than 30 seconds because I missed out my usual interim step of converting to a TIFF file (it is Saturday and my Mrs. has other things for me to do!!. If I get time I might have another "bash" at it. If you look at the few areas which are well-lit you can see a fair bit of detail, but the areas in shadow (the bird's breast) are rather bland - there is no solution for this.

It is also on my PBase site with a frame and against a black background which improves the appearance:

http://www.pbase.com/accentor/image/110683306

Colin

Comment

looks great, I really appreciate your giving me your time. I'll get one of the hosts you suggest. Thanks again learning slowly!!
                  regards
                  Paul

Comment

Paul,

I had intended having another go at this but realised that my RAW converter (Canon's Digital Photography Professional) will not work on Nikon files to convert them to an 8-bit TIFF. It is the TIFF file that I do all the post-processing on before converting to a JPEG for web publication (by the way, never use the "save for web" option as it compresses the file too much and undoes a lot of the processing - always use "save as" and choose JPEG, Maximum Quality).

The important thing is that if you shoot in RAW format you always have the original "lossless" file to go back and work on when you get better software and your skills improve - that is not the case if you shoot in JPEG (which already has some irreversible in-camera processing done to the images).

As a web-hosting site Photobucket is very good, and free. If you want to start creating your own professional-looking galleries then I would suggest PBase or Zenfolio (there is an annual charge for both, but not very much - I think I pay $23 US for my PBase site). I have been looking at Zenfolio and took out the trial version - it has some advantages over PBase, but not quite so easy to use. Or, if you have 25 hours a day to spare you might consider creating your own website! - I am considering doing so.

Cheers,

Colin

Comment

had a 40D for a bit now, higher ISO is so much easier to use with this

ISO 800, F8, 1/1000 usual treatment
                      Joe
                      http://birdthings.blogspot.com

Joseph

Comment

Hi Colin

As it seemed that my Robin attached itself I've tried the same again, I would appreciate your comments both on the image itself as well as composition

regards
                        Paul

Comment

Hi Colin

As it seemed that my Robin attached itself I've tried the same again, I would appreciate your comments both on the image itself as well as composition

regards
                          Paul
                          Hi Paul,

If you have sent another image to me via email, I have not as yet received it - did you use my "sapo" address?

Colin

Comment

Hello Paul,

Received your images. Your attempt at processing isn't at all bad, but I think you need to resize and save the edited JPEG at a much small size (image dimension, not file size).

Here is my version:

If you want to see it with a frame on my PBase site go here: http://www.pbase.com/accentor/image/111173581/large

I have not cropped quite as closely as your version since the "setting" is quite attractive. With the bird being so small in the original image it would not be advisable to crop any further without losing image quality.

The processing I did (in PS Elements 6) was:

1. Applied automatic "shadows & highlights" tool

2. Increased colour saturation by +10

3. Increased brightness and contrast by +6 and +4 respectively

4. Applies noise reduction in "Neat Image" using "auto-profile

5. Sharpened with "Un-sharp Mask"

6. Resized to 900 pixels maximum dimension

7. Applied a weak pass of "adjust sharpness" to re-sized image

8. Saved as a JPEG at maximum (12) quaility.

This image would have been much better if you had been closer to the bird. Exposing correctly for a bird with pure white and dark plumage in bright lighting is a nightmare, but this isn't at all bad - the whites on the upper breast are "blown" and cannot be recovered, but no matter (it is always better to under-expose and try to lift detail from the darker parts in processing).

I note from the exif that this was shot at 1/800s f/5.6 and ISO 200. Increasing the ISO to 400 and stopping down the aperture to 6.3 or 7.1 might have increased the sharpness slightly.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Colin

Comment

Hi Colin

learning slowly!! one thing though did you convert to a Tiff and do the processing at that point, ie nef:tiff:jpeg and was it still a tiff when you noise reduced?

cheers
                              Paul

Comment

Hi Colin

learning slowly!! one thing though did you convert to a Tiff and do the processing at that point, ie nef:tiff:jpeg and was it still a tiff when you noise reduced?

cheers
                                Paul
                                Hello Paul,

No, I did not convert to TIFF. I think I said last time (with the Robin shot) that my software will not convert Nikon RAW files to TIFFs so I had to import it straight into PS as a RAW file and work on that. There may be a way around this but I haven't found it yet! Through choice I would always work on an 8-bit TIFF (converted from the original RAW using Canon's Digital Photography Professional) - PS Elements cannot cope with 16-bit TIFFs, which would be better still.

I posted the results on here rather sending you an email since I thought it might be useful to others. As I said, there are limitations to what you can do when the bird occupies such a small proportion of the original image and although processing software is very clever, it cannot work miracles. I would suggest taking a bag of old bread to a gull or duck locality, get some "frame-filling" shots, and practice your processing on those.

All the best,

Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X