'Phoenix' Black Redstart in Kent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Phoenix' Black Redstart in Kent

There's currently a probable Eastern 'race' (phoenicuroides) Black Redstart knocking around the beach in Margate. After all previous claims have been chucked out, this maybe the rarest vagrant to reach our shores this autumn. A first for Britain AND a potential future split!
    Archie - Association of Satirical Birders & Ornithologists

check out my blog at www.archiesbirding.blogspot.com

Archie

See this thread from post 5 onwards - http://www.surfbirds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9812

Brian S

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
      Archie

See this thread from post 5 onwards - http://www.surfbirds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9812

Brian S
      Cheers Brian, much obliged.

Comment

Just been confirmed as phoenicuroides!

Comment

News on DNA analysis of this bird's poo thanks to Martin Collinson. Here:

www.birdingfrontiers.com

He also commented that the only other explanation, if not an Eastern Black Redstart was that the bird had recently eaten an Eastern Black Redstart. hmm...

Martin

Comment

Hi Martin

Thanks for posting this, however....

Is this much of a shock? It is interesting to have it confirmed (and from China , too), but I am not sure that many really doubted that it was phoenicuroides.

Brian S

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
              but I am not sure that many really doubted that it was phoenicuroides.

Brian S
              Surely no-one could have thought that a Europe-wide influx of hybrids was involved?! Then again..

cheers, alan

Comment

Just a shame that phoenicuroides (Eastern Black Redstarts) are never going to be given full species rank in line with other similar splits........

Comment

Originally posted by LeeEvans View Post
                  Just a shame that phoenicuroides (Eastern Black Redstarts) are never going to be given full species rank in line with other similar splits........
                  Hi Lee,
                  Just spotted your reply. In the article on the UK400 website you say that it seems logical to treat Eastern Black Redstart as a separate species, and so I'd assumed that the UK400 Club had decided to make the split. Is that right, or have you decided that the evidence is not strong enough?
                  Many thanks, Roger

Comment

Working...
                  X