Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Priorslee Ring Billed Gull Type??

Hi all,
    This afternoon I took a trip over to Priorslee lake Shropshire to see the adult Ring Billed Gull that had been reported the day before. On arrival the bird was showing well in the water and perched on the ice.
    What was immediately obvious was that the mantle shade appeared too dark, being a similar shade to Common Gull or Yellow-legged Gull. The bird appeared on the large side and wasn't much smaller than the surrounding LBB Gulls. The bill, iris and leg colour all fit in with Ring Billed Gull. Also the primary pattern all looked ok for Ring Billed Gull.
    We all seemed to think the bird was a hybrid Ring Billed Gull type, possibly with LBBGull.
    I would appreciate some feed back on this very interesting Gull.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RB Hybrid.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	79828

Name:	RB Hybrid2.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	79829

Name:	RB Hybrid3.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	79830

Name:	RB Hybrid4.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	79831

Name:	RB Hybrid5.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	79832
    Last edited by stevenuttall; February 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM.

Hi Steve, agree that the mantle shade appears darker than normal. I see Scillyspider also blogged about this bird. Seems to be lots of photos across the web of Black-headedxRing-billed, LaughingxRing-billed and Common/MewxRing-billed (looks very similar to Ring-billed) but nothing of LBBxRing-billed but seems like a reasonable possibility.
    My Surfbirds Photo Albums

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
      Hi Steve, agree that the mantle shade appears darker than normal. I see Scillyspider also blogged about this bird. Seems to be lots of photos across the web of Black-headedxRing-billed, LaughingxRing-billed and Common/MewxRing-billed (looks very similar to Ring-billed) but nothing of LBBxRing-billed but seems like a reasonable possibility.
      Hi Andy

A possible Ring-billedxLBbG in Spain - http://larusfuscus.blogspot.com/2012...s-x-larus.html

Brian S

Comment

Thanks. Looks identical (maybe it is?). On this photo from Shropshire birds, appears you can see some red on the lower mandible too:
        http://www.shropshirebirds.com/Galle...MG_3240_RC.JPG
        My Surfbirds Photo Albums

Comment

Note that the bird in Shropshire lack dark marked primary coverts. The mirror on p10 is remarkable similar in both, the primary pattern on the whole is quite similar. the black band on p5 is however, broader in the British bird.
          The Spanish bird would be this one for sure...

http://www.surfbirds.com/forum/showt...ed+gull+hybrid

JanJ

Comment

Working...
          X