Long-tailed Shrike in Holland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-tailed Shrike in Holland

A Long-tailed Shrike has been reported this morning , south of Den Helder - http://www.dutchbirdalerts.nl/report.action?id=36058. described thus, "Marcel Haas om 31-10 12:04:
    vogel heeft een erg grijze kop, oranje schouderveren, een grijze mantel en een vrij lange staart. foto's vergeleken met het beest van Denemarken en daar lijkt hij sprekend op... Vogel nog steeds niet in beeld." (grey head, orange shoulders, grey mantle and a very long tail....)

Good luck to those that go for it (maybe some British WP listers that need it may travel) and I hope some photos come out.

Brian S
    Last edited by Brian S; October 31st, 2011, 12:45 PM.

Still present at 12.45

Brian S

Comment

Photos now online - http://waarneming.nl/soort/photos/12...&to=2011-10-31

Direct links
      http://waarneming.nl/fotonew/0/2741580.jpg
      http://waarneming.nl/fotonew/2/2741582.jpg

Brian S

Comment

Just missed us here in the UK Fabulous looking birds they are too.... Now that's one of the ones I tipped for this autumn and its missed us! Mind you I still have Siberian/Black throated Accentor on the tip list..... but I've been tipping that for +25 years and its not happened yet

ATB

Steph'

Comment

L.t Shrike

Looks at though the likes of Robson, Rasmussen et all will have to re-think the status from 'mainly resident' and 'sedentary'....?

Is this the 2nd for the W.P now?

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by andyadcock View Post
            Looks at though the likes of Robson, Rasmussen et all will have to re-think the status from 'mainly resident' and 'sedentary'....?

Is this the 2nd for the W.P now?

Andy

I think the 4th after records from Israel and Scandinavia (was it Denmark?) No doubt someone can look in a book. The northern birds (nominate from memory) from central Asia are the most migratory,

cheers, alan

Comment

Originally posted by alan lewis View Post
              I think the 4th after records from Israel and Scandinavia (was it Denmark?) No doubt someone can look in a book. The northern birds (nominate from memory) from central Asia are the most migratory,
              There's also been at least one in Kuwait; don't recall properly but I think it was a returning wintering bird?

The Scandinavian record was indeed Denmark, in 2007.

J
              Josh Jones
              http://joshrjones.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Jones View Post
                There's also been at least one in Kuwait; don't recall properly but I think it was a returning wintering bird?

The Scandinavian record was indeed Denmark, in 2007.

J
                Monday October 31st 2011

Long-tailed Shrike, Lanius schach
                Noord-Holland Netherlands
                1 at Oude Vuilnisbelt, Den Helder, the 1st record for the Netherlands.
                Picture (source: www.dutchbirding.nl)

Tuesday September 30th 2008

Spain
                1 at the Guadalhorce ponds, Málaga, the 1st record for Spain if accepted.
                (source: WestPalBirds)

Saturday December 15th 2007

Kuwait
                1 at Sulaibikhat Nature Reserve, 3rd record for Kuwait.
                (source: Birdforum)

Monday October 15th 2007

Denmark
                1 at Skallingen, Blåvand, the 1st for Denmark.
                Picture (source: The Danish Rarity Committee)

Wednesday October 25th 2006

Kuwait
                1 at Sulaibikhat Nature Reserve, 2nd record for Kuwait.
                (source: MEBirdnet)

Thursday November 4th 2004

Jordan
                1 at Aqaba, 1st record for Jordan.
                (source: Tarsiger team)

Thursday October 7th 2004

Kuwait
                1 at Jahra Pool Reserve, the 1st record for Kuwait.
                (source: www.hawar-islands.com)

Friday November 3rd 2000

Outer Hebrides, Scotland United Kingdom
                1st-winter at Howbeg and Howmore, South Uist, the 1st record for Britain.
                (source: The British Rarities Committee)

Friday June 11th 1999

Gotland Sweden
                2cy male at Stora Karlsö, the 1st record for Sweden.
                (source: The Swedish National Rarities Committee)
                Dept. of Zoology, University of Cambridge, UK

My website - Neotropical Bird Club -Tropical Forest Research - Punkbirder - Wikiaves

In natural science the principles of truth ought to be confirmed by observation. — Carolus Linnaeus

Comment

What a bird indeed!

Although initially discovered and reported as an 'isabelline shrike'. When I arrived at the 'scene' the bird was very elusive. It sat for just seconds and flew off. Because I was the first to arrive with a telescope I looked through it and noticed a grey head and orange shoulders, which prompted the remark: "Am I crazy or is this a Long-tailed?!" Unfortunately it flew off again. Luckily a few photos were taken. In the meantime the bird had gone for about an hour... During that hour we decided to send out an alert that a 'possible' Long-tailed Shrike was present. Surely, half an hour later the bird turned up and sat preening on top of a bush for about 15 minutes. Of course we were looking at a superb Long-tailed Shrike!

The bird was present until dusk and twitched by circa 300 birders.

Previous WP records are as follows:

8 records

Britain (1)

1 27 October to 04 November 2000, Howbeg and Howmore, South Uist, Outer Hebrides, first-winter [British Ornithologists’ Union 2005; Rogers & Rarities Committee 2004; Stevenson 2000, 2005]

Denmark (1)

1 15–17 October 2007, Skallingen, Ribe, first-winter male [Kristensen et al 2008]

Israel (1)

1 26 January to late February 1983, Sede Boqer, adult male [Shirihai & Golan 1994]

Jordan (1)

1 11–13 April 2004, Aqaba [Dufourny 2006]

Kuwait (2)

1 07 October 2004, Jahra Pool Reserve, Al Jahra [Foster 2006; KORC 2008]
                  2 14 October 2006 to 9 April 2007, Sulaibikhat Nature Reserve, Al Asimah [KORC 2008]
                  03 November 2007 to 12 April 2008, Sulaibikhat Nature Reserve, Al Asimah

Sweden (1)

1 11 June 1999, Stora Karlsö, Gotland, second-year male [Cederroth 2000]

Turkey (1)

1 24 September 1987, Birecik, first-winter male, trapped, collected (NHM: 1988.23.1) [Kirwan & Martins 1994; Shirihai & Golan 1994]

Marcel Haas

Comment

Congratulations Marcel!

more images
                    http://waarneming.nl/fotonew/8/2742138.jpg
                    http://waarneming.nl/fotonew/4/2742164.jpg
                    http://waarneming.nl/fotonew/6/2741806.jpg

Brian S

Comment

Thanks Marcel. Initially Dutch Birding had it as L/T Shrike but Waarneming had it as a Daurian. The photos on Waarneming clearly made it Long-tailed and they changed to Long-tailed around midday. As I'm currently stuck in Utrecht undergoing a 24-hour medical test this is a little frustrating although I have seen L/T Shrike in China - but not in WP (grrrrrrr!).

David

Comment

Working...
                      X