Temminck's Stint in Alaska

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian S View Post

Well we have gone full circle, agreed it is Temminck's Stint, .......

Brian S
    Have we?

Colin

Comment

I managed to download the original large JPEG and did a bit of work on it:

This is far from perfect but now looks much more like Temmink's (but, on the basis of this image, cannot completely rule out Long-toed). The originally posted image was from a Flickr URL and was subjected to the dreaded "save for web" option which takes a poor photo, compresses it, and makes it even worse.

I think that the apparent split supercillium is an optical (or photographic) illusion - it might not exist, but if it does then Long-toed is still "in the frame". I also think that my re-work (dreadful though it is) does show a complete breast band and that, as I stated in a previous post above, the possible "incompleteness" is just due to an effect of lighting.

Colin

Edit: After playing around with colour saturation and hue, I would concede now that the legs are pale "yukkish" yellow.
      Last edited by Colin Key; July 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Temminck's

Originally posted by JanJ View Post
        Hi Colin.

You are of course right in that judging from certain photos, even some good ones, is very difficult and unwise but a photo is all we have! (thatīs what I keep saying in various forums myself!), so no doubt about that. I think that most birders involved in these matters canīt have missed out on that one. In spite of that itīs done over and over again, we birders is trapped in the urge to identify anything we see (sometime even in really poor photos, where you have to struggle to even spot the bird!), itīs like a disease Clearly a prestigious race at times when a bad or not so good photo is comming along of a suspected rarity or of some odd plumaged species, quite a natural human behaviour, you just have to control yourself - a bit.
        As I said earlier, I decided to make a quick one because I had a clear Temminckīs fell to this one - not saying that Iīm right (not such a good image ) - just setting some of you out there more on the move.

JanJ
        I think JanJ's post sums up our addiction to the challenge...

Nice rework Colin..I did the same but think you did a nice job on the photo and thankls for re-posting..the eyering is noticeable and the overall dunn-grey color is Temminck's..not sure, but is that the tail sticking out beyond the end of the wings?

I think Long-toed can be ruled out on the upperparts pattern and lack of rufous fringes to the dark-centered feathers and the breast band is probably too heavy for that species and the the legs rather short. Bill looks good for Temminck's and so does the tail sides in the flight photo.

Toes, from what I can see don't look too long, but may be hard to judge form the angle.

And, without sending this off on a tangent, I wanted to comment that I think jizz is definitely a factor that can be used in a still image..it sometimes may be misleading depending on the pose captured, but a series of still images definitely portrays jizz of a bird...

J

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhough1 View Post

And, without sending this off on a tangent, I wanted to comment that I think jizz is definitely a factor that can be used in a still image..it sometimes may be misleading depending on the pose captured, but a series of still images definitely portrays jizz of a bird...
          Hi Julian,

This term "Jizz" is a difficult one to pin down ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jizz_(birding) ) and its origins are dubious.

To me it has always involved the way a bird moves (as well as shape, size, etc) and for that reason I find it difficult to apply to a single still image (I note that you refer to "a series of still images"). It might have more applicability to a bird within a flock (terns, gulls waders, etc) but for a single bird such as this Calidrid in an image where it cannot be related to any other entity (bird, vegetation, or anything else), I would hesitate to use the term; "structure", "shape", "apparent size", "posture", yes - but (for me) not "Jizz".

After Googling "Jizz" I am tempted to describe this bird as a "spunky little wader"

Colin

Comment

Working...
          X