Mouldy discovery, what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouldy discovery, what to do?

I was caught out in the rain with the scope tonight and on looking through it indoors I realised it had gotton damp. This isnít a huge problem as it has happened before. I removed the eyepiece and was going to place the scope in the airing cupboard to have a slow dry out when to my horror I saw there was some sort of fine looking mould growing in several places on the surface of the prism facing me.

Thing is what to do? Should I just clean it off with a cloth and will it grow back worse further in the body of the scope or on the next lens down the tube. Does this need to go back to Opticron to get properly cleaned out or can I do some thing about it myself?

Am I even worrying about nothing?

The photo doesnít show the delicate nature of this mould but gives an idea.

Any advice or opinions please!
    Attached Files

I would take the scope back for cleaning/replacement if possible. When you can see mould it is only the tip of the iceberg. Short of dipping the entire scope in a bleach and water solution (NOT recommended!) there is nothing you can do to prevent it growing back, even if you manage to clean it now. If your scope is not waterproof and it gets damp on a regular basis, I would advise being much more careful about keeping it covered, and keeping it dry and aired our when not in use. For a quick fix, a lens cloth should wipe away the mould with no problems. Don't use a solvent, it might damage the coatings on the prism.

On a slightly different note, I never cease to be amazed at the people I see on birding trips etc....with top of the line gear which they leave on the tripod, lens caps off, covers off, to sit in the dust and rain. When I mention they may want to be more careful, the typical response is something like "no worries, it's waterproof!" Sure, but why not take care of it? I was working on a cruise in Antarctica a few years ago and the ship was chartered by some professional and wannabe professional photographers, and it was unreal. Dudes would leave $60,000 worth of gear on the ground, no lens caps, in the rain. After the first two days, something like 10 cameras were found to be 'defective', i.e. not waterproof enough to survive 6 hours of exposure in the rain, with alternating trips between the freezing cold outside and the boiling heat inside with no chance to slowly equalize in a bag.

Comment

well thats me told then....lol

Comment

Working...
      X