Monocular advice needed please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monocular advice needed please.

I know someone who is thinking of buying a monocular. She isn't a serious birder, and doesn't want anything too exotic or expensive. I know nothing about them, so any advice on what to look for, good inexpensive brands for general non-expert use, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Daithi1 View Post
    I know someone who is thinking of buying a monocular. She isn't a serious birder, and doesn't want anything too exotic or expensive. I know nothing about them, so any advice on what to look for, good inexpensive brands for general non-expert use, etc, would be greatly appreciated.
    I would try to persuade her that a small pair of binculars would be easier to use and more comfortable viewing (unless she has no sight in one eye). I have tried monoculars (close-focussing for insects and 8x40) and the main problem is trying to find what you are looking at and the secondary problem is that I still needed both hands to both focus and hold the monocular so there is no gain over binoculars. I would get her to look through some reverse porro 8x25 (ish) and see how she gets on.

Paul

Comment

Dissuade her - monoculars are utterly useless; as per pdwinter recommend small reverse porro (Nikon for example).
      Russ

Comment

Thanks guys for the help. I'll pass that on.

Comment

Working...
        X