Bamboo clothing - some reviews and thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bamboo clothing - some reviews and thoughts

I've been so impressed with the various bamboo-fibre garments I've bought in recent years, I decided to write a short article and share my experience and thoughts on this little known natural clothing material.

The full article is on my blog here.
    Steve
    A birdwatching guide to Lesvos
    www.lesvosbirding.com
    www.toadsnatcher.com
    Watching British Dragonflies

Bamboo clothing

Looks pretty interesting, and more eco-friendly than synthetics. How does it compare on price?

Steve Gent
    Winnebago CO IL

Comment

Sorry, I should have put prices on but they are all listed when you click the links. Prices are comparable with synthetic alternatives so you're not being penalised for buying eco.
      Steve
      www.lesvosbirding.com
      www.toadsnatcher.com

Comment

Thanks Steve - very interesting. I have ordered a couple of t-shirts to try based on your review.

Comment

BAM have a sale on, so some lines discounted, plus their usual 4 for 3 offer, plus, if when you get to checkout, if you put HOLIDAY in the coupon/voucher window you get a further 15% off.

I've just ordered some more of their fab t-shirts myself.
          Steve
          www.lesvosbirding.com
          www.toadsnatcher.com

Comment

Isn't bamboo too stiff and splintery to wear as clothes? Must be very itchy, scratchy stuff to wear, much harder and woodier than sisal. Something I think more of as building material than clothing material. Or do they do something to it to soften it – and if so, what are the costs to the environment of the softening processes?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
              Isn't bamboo too stiff and splintery to wear as clothes? Must be very itchy, scratchy stuff to wear, much harder and woodier than sisal. Something I think more of as building material than clothing material. Or do they do something to it to soften it and if so, what are the costs to the environment of the softening processes?
              Why don't you read my article and find out Michael? I think you're mistaking the wearing the actual plant rather than the fibres you get when its processed.

I don't think I'd be wearing it if it was as you suggested. I think you're gonna have a big surprise if you do read my article. In addition to clothing, there are also blankets, sheets, dish-clothes, etc all made from bamboo fibre.

As far as I know, it goes through far less processing than cotton and uses far less water (covered in my article) and certainly goes through far less of a process than the manufacturing of man-made fibres.
              Steve
              www.lesvosbirding.com
              www.toadsnatcher.com

Comment

You don't actually cover the water (and chemical?) requirements of processing bamboo, only growing it. Cotton plants use a lot of irrigation water to grow, but processing the fibre doesn't use a lot as the fibre is effectively ready to use straight from the plant. Bamboo, to make something wearable, will need something more akin to paper / wood pulp processing, which uses a huge amount of water, and in some processes, a lot of chemical processing too.

Comment

Sorry Michael, you're right. I couldn't find anything re. the processing. It wasn't covered either in the Ecologist's original article (which spurred me on to pen my article) which thinking about it is odd too.
                  Steve
                  www.lesvosbirding.com
                  www.toadsnatcher.com

Comment

Which makes me suspicious they're trying to hide something (and is the main reason for my rather tongue-in-cheek first post above )

Edit: forgot to mention too, any pollution resulting from the processing (again, a huge problem with paper / pulp production). The basic difficulty is that bamboo, like wood, contains a lot of lignin (the stiffening component) which needs to be removed and disposed of somehow.
                    Last edited by MichaelF; August 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve,

How does it compare to Hemp clothing?

Comment

Originally posted by ampelinus View Post
                        Hi Steve,

How does it compare to Hemp clothing?
                        As I said in my article, its super soft - at the silk end of the market, not the hemp end.
                        Steve
                        www.lesvosbirding.com
                        www.toadsnatcher.com

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
                          Which makes me suspicious they're trying to hide something (and is the main reason for my rather tongue-in-cheek first post above )

Edit: forgot to mention too, any pollution resulting from the processing (again, a huge problem with paper / pulp production). The basic difficulty is that bamboo, like wood, contains a lot of lignin (the stiffening component) which needs to be removed and disposed of somehow.
                          OK, it didn't take me much longer this time to find some info on manufacturing process of bamboo, but which of the two processes (mechanical or chemical) any one manufacturing sources its cloth from is another question. I will certainly ask!

See http://organicclothing.blogs.com/my_...-facts-be.html for details of the two processes.
                          Steve
                          www.lesvosbirding.com
                          www.toadsnatcher.com

Comment

Just to say I have received my bamboo t-shirts and I am very impressed with them. I tried them out in the hot and humid Beijing weather and they were far better than my usual cotton t-shirts in terms of sweat dispersal and drying time. They are also incredibly soft. But before I buy more, I am very interested in which of the manufacturing processes BAM uses. I will also ask!

Terry
                            www.birdingbeijing.wordpress.com

Comment

BAM have a sale on, so some lines discounted, plus their usual 4 for 3 offer, plus, if when you get to checkout, if you put HOLIDAY in the coupon/voucher window you get a further 15% off.
                              create a store online shopping clothing electronics holidays daily deals

Comment

Working...
                              X