This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Collalba View Post
    ..... and also think using my full name could sound a bit pompous on this 'ere forum!

Peter
    Why?

Colin

Comment

What`s in a name?

As a new member of one days duration, I have read all the threads concerning the use of usernames as opposed to real names and would like to make the following observation.
      The use of a username litters the internet in many ways, banking for instance, and it is almost part of computer life. Some names I wholeheartedly agree appear downright silly but then again in my life outside the birding world, I have met and corresponded with people whose real names appear equally silly. I promise you that I had occasion to deal with a man whose surname is Wankiwitz, and if you can ring his office and ask for him without smothering laughter then you are a better man than I am.
      Is it important that we use the name we born with for all the things we do in life? If it was then the advent of a username would not have come to fruition. I am happy to use my full name if it is required, I have used the name by which all my friends call me and by which I am known to the internet world. This does not mean that I wish to hide behind it and cause utter mischief, that surely is in the nature of the person and not in the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Churcho View Post
        I promise you that I had occasion to deal with a man whose surname is Wankiwitz, ........
        I have been dealing with these sort of people all my working life - I once had the great misfortune to share an office with (now deceased) Dr Simon Tosser. I also had, in a first year university undergraduate group, two girls called (and this is the honest truth) Eileen Dover and Teressa Green.

But, back to the the subject, I cannot understand the use of childish (and often ridiculous) "user names" - WHY?

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Key View Post
          Oh, yes!! (but not that much difference REALLY)

Colin
          Not sure I understand what you are saying here...
          http://countingcoots.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Thing View Post
            Not sure I understand what you are saying here...
            To do with African geography - don't worry about it.

Colin

P.S. Out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to call yourself "Thing"?

Comment

To do with African geography - don't worry about it.

Colin

P.S. Out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to call yourself "Thing"?
              Ok.

It's an old nickname. If it helps any, my mother calls me Michael.

Comment

Nearly as many Michaels as Joes around this place! Help!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelF View Post
                  Nearly as many Michaels as Joes around this place! Help!
                  No, there are more!!

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Thing View Post
                    Ok.

It's an old nickname. If it helps any, my mother calls me Michael.
                    Have just read your thread on BF on your Fulham patch Michael - very humorous and very interesting.

Hope to see you posting more on this forum.

Colin

Comment

Have just read your thread on BF on your Fulham patch Michael - very humorous and very interesting.

Hope to see you posting more on this forum.

Colin
                      Aw shucks.

Paying more attention to putting the patch stuff on the blog (self moderating you see - or perhaps not!) but thanks all the same!

Stunning male Sparrowhawk and Moorhens getting loved up this lunchtime!

Comment

I think people should use their own name - fullstop !
                        John Robinson

Comment

I am with John on this one; there is difference between using a discrete on-line name (John R or Colin K) if you do not want to give your full and proper name but some of these "monicas" are just downright stupid.

Colin
                          I have just noticed on "the other channel" that there are members calling themselves "Bananafishbones" and "Semolina Pilchard" - I quite honestly would not lower myself to communicate with these sort of "Jodrells".

Colin
                          Didn't you used to be called 'Swamphen' on 'the other channel' as you call it?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                            Didn't you used to be called 'Swamphen' on 'the other channel' as you call it?
                            Yes, because at the time I was registered as three different members in three countries with three different ISP addresses and three different usernames (including one with my real name).

Don't ask me why - it is a long, long story!!

Colin

P.S. Since I chose a rather nice shot of a Purple (Gallinule) Swamphen as an avatar, I didn't think that the username was too "way-out" in that case.
                            Last edited by Colin Key; May 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Dear oh dear !
                              One of the reasons I. gave this forum a rest was because some of the posts were getting abusive.
                              It seems like nothing has changed, and that sort of stuff doesn't attract too many new members.
                              I'll take another sabbatical .
                              JohnR

Comment

Originally posted by john robinson View Post
                                I'll take another sabbatical .
                                JohnR
                                No, you must not go AWOL again John - age, experience and common sense are a valuable commodity here.

What this low form of life had in mind when he (or she, or it) chipped in I do not know. Having looked at the posts made on BF he is clearly a troll and a trouble-maker. Best ignored (which, as you will have gathered, I find difficult!!).

Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X