Spring Hunting in Malta - Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Christopher,
    I hope the local and national papers are printing this news. Leaving parts of mutilated cats should be enough to disgust most people and put the bird slaughterers in a very bad light. I can not call these people hunters. Hunters do not kill anything that moves just to kill it, and most understand ecology. I think sociopaths would be a better term for these demented people. Be careful.
    With You in Spirit,
    Sue
    http://birdingaboardperegrine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Christopher

I am trying not to despair too much, and wondered if you could say whether the level of hunting is lower compared with previous years. I hope that it is and that things will continue to improve.

I wish all of those trying to stop the illegal hunting well.

Brian S

Comment

It is this word "hunting" that I find very depressing. What is currently occurring in Malta is "shooting", and it is being done as an expression of disgust by the Maltese who fear that their "hunting" rights are about to be withdrawn.

In the old days the poor people were allowed to hunt for food to support their families. Nowadays it is a handed-down, God-given right to go out and shoot anything that moves.

In Portugal hunting days (during the season) are Thursday, Sunday and Public Holidays. These morons are out at dawn, dressed in camouflage and festooned with belts of cartridges, and they congregate at the bars at lunchtime to compare their "haul" (thrushes and larger are kept for the pot, or for sale) which is mostly just dumped into the "lixo" (waste) bins - Goldfinches, warblers, etc. by the thousand.

You will have to use your imagination as to what I would do to these cretins, given the chance.

Colin

Comment

Hi Christopher,
          I've done over 20 years as a volunteer protecting roosting waders and, at times, you might think you'll never get anywhere, but keep at it, you do finally get through to people. About the 'hunters', Einstein said ' There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and the stupidity of people, and I'm not sure about the former!'
          Chris
          Birds, Beer, Baying-at-the-moon and Bikes. Isn't alliteration wonderful.

Comment

BREAKING NEWS... Maltese 2008 spring hunting season banned by European Court

BREAKING NEWS... Maltese 2008 spring hunting season banned by European Court

Link - http://birdlifemalta.org/view.aspx?id=91

Regards

CCZ
            For more info about Birdlife Malta visit - www.birdlifemalta.org

Comment

CCZ

Excellent!

I hope that the 'hunters' live by the rules and, more importantly the government and police have the courage to enforce it.

Brian S

Comment

Great news Christopher; as Brian says, let us hope that this decision is enforced by the local authorities.

All the best,

Colin

Comment

Hi there

Thanks for the support

Here I am posting some videos of incidents that happened during the camp...

1. Uncovering of caltrop hidden in grass at Nadur Tower (Malta) on April 18 to puncture tyres

2. Vandalism on car at Gharghur on April 21

3. Hunter verbally abusing Spring Watch team on April 14 (NOTE: video contains insultive language)

Regards

CCZ
                  For more info about Birdlife Malta visit - www.birdlifemalta.org

Comment

Working...
                  X