Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lands End to John o Groats bird trip

Hi All
    During the last to weeks of May I (with Keith 'Dipper' Lyon in support vehicle) will be birding from LE to JoG; pulling in as many good birding locales as poss;
    Does anyone have a regular feeding site for Chough in the Sennen area as i could do without the diversion to Lizard?.
    Also, has this birding trip been done before(I expect so) and does anyone have a tally for it?.

Cheers

Martin

Martin

Not sure what information you are looking for here

My best day list is 178, taking in East Anglia, Flamborough Head and Wales in one 24-hour period

I have done four 'Round Britain Tours' - 2 in January and 2 in May

Last January, I saw 179 and this year managed 193

My best May tally is 217

Red-billed Choughs are doing quite well in West Cornwall but in May they will be hard to find as they will be nesting. In recent years, 2-3 non-breeding sub-adults have been hanging around the Land's End complex and have been quite reliable. They range widely though, often down to Porthgwarra and St Levan or up to Geevor Mines and Cape Cornwall. Pot luck really

Best wishes

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by stringouzel View Post
      Hi All
      During the last to weeks of May I (with Keith 'Dipper' Lyon in support vehicle) will be birding from LE to JoG; pulling in as many good birding locales as poss;
      Does anyone have a regular feeding site for Chough in the Sennen area as i could do without the diversion to Lizard?.
      Also, has this birding trip been done before(I expect so) and does anyone have a tally for it?.

Cheers

Martin
      Martin,

You are probably aware of the exploits of the Bikingbirder (my good friend Gary Prescott) who spent all of 2010 cycling around Britain visiting every single WWT and RSPB reserve, notching up 253 species in the process - http://bikingbirder2010.blogspot.com.

Comment

Hi Lee and Prowlin Wolf;

Thanks for info and links; i should have made it clearer but i will be cycling it which is why i didnt want to divert to Lizard where i know Choughs are just about a certainty.
        Thanks again

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by stringouzel View Post
          Hi Lee and Prowlin Wolf;

Thanks for info and links; i should have made it clearer but i will be cycling it which is why i didnt want to divert to Lizard where i know Choughs are just about a certainty.
          Thanks again

Martin
          Hi Martin - I have seen Chough at the far end of both Nanquidno and Cot valleys but this was post-breeding season so I dont know if this was just post-breeding dispersal from the Lizard.

Comment

There are several nesting pairs of Chough in West Cornwall now so those roaming the Land's End area, although originally related to the Lizard establishment, are separate and an extension in range

Comment

Working...
            X