Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surfbird blogs are down again

Default Surfbird blogs are down again

Hi all,

I've just tried to access some of the surfbird blogs this evening to find that none of them are accessible. Can admin put us in the picture.

Cheers Steve

They're OK right now.

There is a plan in the next 2 weeks to move all the blogs over to wordpress software which will be more secure and stable but we will warn all users before doing that as there may be a brief outage when we do the migration.

So, we've begun migrating all users over to the new Wordpress software. We know no one likes change and apologize for the inconvenience. But the old software was no longer supported and spammers had figured out a way to leverage it's holes to send thousands of spam emails out from the Surfbirds server every minute, which was slowing the site down and even brought the server down a few times.

Wordpress is a more robust and widely supported software. There are and will be a lot of advantages to your new blog. Anyway, if you have any issues, please email us or post it here if you think it could be useful for others to see. There will be teething pains as we continue to migrate everyone over but hope to respond in a timely fashion and hope users enjoy their new blogs.

Thanks for your patience and happy new year!

I can't get into mine as my password doesn't seem to work anymore. Some of my pictures have been removed. My hit counter has been removed so that all of my history has gone. All this and no notification from anyone to advise me that these changes were going to happen. Most miffed

Darren Pearce (Yatebirder)

PS Can someone from admin email me to advise my password ?

Hi Darren, an email went out a couple of weeks ago about the impending change, but it's possible if you didn't receive yours that it was caught by a spam filter (as some others didn't receive theirs either). The previous blog software was insecure, so we were forced to make the change and migrate the blogs to a new (and what is actually a better, more robust and interactive) software called WordPress. It's widely used and so, therefore, has much better support.

However, the existing passwords could not be moved over in the migration so one of the first things users need to do is confirm their password by resetting it. When you go to login here:
    http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/
    click "login" and then click "forgot password". A link will be emailed to you, go to your email, click on the link and set your password (can be same as one you've been using). Then login and start to explore your new blog. You can customize the header with your own image or lose a header image, change the background color (black or white), change the layout (eg remove the sidebar) and add various widgets.

Please do note that WordPress does not permit widgets that use javascript or php (eg some of hit counters and weather widgets use this code). We will post alternative widgets that can be used in a separate post shortly.

In the meantime, if photos haven't come across or any other issues, please email us at the surfbirds at surfbirds.com address or post here.

Best, Admin

Hi Admin,
    I've noticed that since updating my Belvide blog It hasn't appeared on the surfbirds home page as a latest blog entry. Is there a problem.

Cheers Steve

I still cant access mine. I try to login and the password is rejected. I reset the password and it still dosent work. Lots of blogging to do but slowly losing the will

Hi Darren, I can help you with that. I will email you.

Steve, we'll get latest entries on the homepage soon.

Right then, I've got mine going now. I would like a hit counter like I had before that shows number of hits and where they are from.

Any suggestions ? Do you have a widget for this ?

Belvide Blog uses reliable counter

and also clustrmaps for geographical location of the hits. When installing clustrmaps, follow directions here:
    http://blog.clustrmaps.com/html-setu...-on-wordpress/

For these types of widgets, go to appearance>widgets and drag a "text" widget to the sidebar or wherever you want it installed. Paste the code in to the "text" widget and save.