Thread: Hume's Warbler in Spain

Default Hume's Warbler in Spain

Just seen the most recent photo of the Hume's Warbler in Spain, in the European Stop Press Rarities.

If this bird truly is a Hume's we might as well tear up the field guide plates, forget about plumage and base the i.d. solely on call. Or am I missing something? Anyone else care to comment?

There was an earlier short tread on this bird here http://www.surfbirds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10185

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Just seen the most recent photo of the Hume's Warbler in Spain, in the European Stop Press Rarities.
    This pic?

Yes

I've expressed similiar ideas to DLV but got slapped on the bottom so hard by Corso so perhaps better to tear up the field guide plates.

ooopppssss Yoav but I really do not wanted to slap you on the bottom (even if I really like you, still I prefer female-type creatures )
    I even do not know your opinion on this bird and have only seen one single previous photo, where the bird really look much better fitting humei.
    In the latest pictures it is indeed scary and mis-leading....

still I think is a humei albeit an odd one....

It is late in the season adn has weared off most of the grey cast leaving the greenish tinge more showing out.... though yet it is a cold tone not a warm olive tinge. Also, odd on primary darkish base, on bright yellow bill base...but all these characters may be shown by some humei , or at least waht we call humei (as we leave always apart manddellii from these discussions being a least known taxon for which I would love to know and study more).

The legs are dark on the rear tarsus, never like so in inornatus and a very good pro humei character.... also, the bill base is bright ok but the leading edge of the upper mandible and the culmen is solidly blackish, which is not the case for inornatus.... and the call is perfectly fitting

so we either would admitt that some inornatus call exaclty like humei, over winter in Europe (it could be possible sure but usually humei are the wintering one), have dark rear tarsi, pale centred GC, cold tone to plumage, bland gentle kind face expression, buggy smoked white supercilia etc etc
    or either again and once more we call for hybrids which always save us when we have doubts and can't select a good positive option

ciao

Andrea

sorry yoav if you felt slapped .... will never do this to you

Thanks guys.

Hi all,
    Yoav et al, I sent you yesterday the recordings made by JL Copete so that you could all listen to them by yourselves, and comment on them, not needing then to only trust my subjective opinion on the bird, based on direct field observation (in the field, I must admit that the legs look much darker than on some of the published pics, certainly darker than on any inornatus i´ve ever seen, with the rear part of the tarsus being particularly dark)
    Overall plumage in the field seems OK, and the ammount of pale on the bill base is certainly within humei variation. Regarding tertial pattern, I´d say the latest pic on surfbirds (taken by Ferran Lopez) shows the "real, field, appearance" of the bird better than Juan Sagardia´s photo, which probably has some photoshop adjustments. Tertial pattern, with quite diffuse whitish edges in the field, is certainly shown more accurately on Ferran´s pic.
    However, I fully understand that, based on some of the perhaps misleading pics, some doubts may arise regarding its ID, and I thank everyone who has expressed them (I would have done the same too!)
    Here are the recordings, so that everybody can listen to them
    To my ears, the calls fit humei perfectly, and should be enough for clinching the ID beyond any doubt, and for ruling out YBW with confidence, but I would of course be really interested in hearing everyones opinion on them, now that there are recordings available.
    And last, I would like to thank Yoav, Andrea, Sherpa, etc.. for their comments, they´re always much appreciated, and, BTW, I´m sure Andrea didn´t want to slap down anyone´s ideas! , but simply wanted to express his confidence on the ID of the bird

dani

the other recording
    dani

Thanks for posting those recordings Dani. Like you said, those are clearly the calls of a humei. In my experience, there is very little variation in the calls of inornatus. One individual sounds pretty much identical to the next, varying only slightly in duration, and rather different to the calls heard on the recordings.

Back to plumage and bare part colouration, it is surprising that a bird could be at the extreme end in so many respects.

I am also puzzled that if it is worn, it should show less obvious pale fringes to the tertials and other feathers on the wings. I also thought that a worn bird should look greyer, not greener (contra post #5).
    Last edited by Sherpa; January 25th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.