Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crow mobbing a ...?

user

Default Crow mobbing a ...?

...Kestrel or Sparrowhawk? I know of a active S'Hawk nest roughly 50m away from where these shots were taken, although of what I saw, Kestrel sprang to mind immediately. The bird didhn't hover.

Beds, Uk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look especially at the shape of the wings and the length of the tail in your second and third photos. Is it an Accipiter or a Falco?

user

If you think I hadn't already tried.

I've leant my Collins to a freind, using my RSPB Pocket Guide.

The comparison in the book relies on colours, as it shows the Kestrel with a fanned tail and similar wings to the S'Hawk. The wings do look slightly more Sparrowhawk like, not pointy like a Kestrel is shown. But have never encountered a Sparrowhawk so wouldn't have any knowledge on the Bird. As for the Kestrel, I have a lot of experience with them, and my 1st thoughts were Kestrel. Falco wings are much 'pointier.'

My guide says a SAparrowawk can be seperated from Kestrel by 'shorter, blunter wings' but also says 'the difference is not so clear in soaring' which was what this bird was doing.

On the wing shape, they look blunter but it was soaring and with no previous Sparrowhawk experience, I'm putting my neck on the line and going with Sparrowhawk. I do know of a nest 50m from the site and that is pulling me away from Kestrel.

I WANT MY COLLINS!

user

Quote Originally Posted by Old World Warbler View Post

I've leant my Collins to a freind, using my RSPB Pocket Guide.

The comparison in the book relies on colours, as it shows the Kestrel with a fanned tail and similar wings to the S'Hawk. The wings do look slightly more Sparrowhawk like, not pointy like a Kestrel is shown. But have never encountered a Sparrowhawk so wouldn't have any knowledge on the Bird. As for the Kestrel, I have a lot of experience with them, and my 1st thoughts were Kestrel. Falco wings are much 'pointier.'

My guide says a SAparrowawk can be seperated from Kestrel by 'shorter, blunter wings' but also says 'the difference is not so clear in soaring' which was what this bird was doing.

On the wing shape, they look blunter but it was soaring and with no previous Sparrowhawk experience, I'm putting my neck on the line and going with Sparrowhawk. I do know of a nest 50m from the site and that is pulling me away from Kestrel.

I WANT MY COLLINS!
    Am I right?

I'm putting my neck on the line and going with Sparrowhawk
    Good, you got there even without the Collins ... so is that a new one for your list?

user

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Heselden View Post
    Good, you got there even without the Collins ... so is that a new one for your list?
    Yes it is new, county tick 64 this year too.

I should try a bit harder on self ID in future, it's so confidence boosting when you get it right!

Thank you!

I do believe the penny may have finally dropped...

user

[QUOTE=shearwater2002;38344]

. As for the Kestrel, I have a lot of experience with them, and my 1st thoughts were Kestrel. Falco wings are much 'pointier.'

You need more!!
    I said I've never encountered a Sparrowhawk before, that's why I thought Kestrel, but on closer inspection, the wings drew me to Sparrowhawk, which was what it was. You've assembled two sentences from completely seperate sentences!

[QUOTE=Old World Warbler;38352]
    Quote Originally Posted by shearwater2002 View Post

I said I've never encountered a Sparrowhawk before, that's why I thought Kestrel, but on closer inspection, the wings drew me to Sparrowhawk, which was what it was. You've assembled two sentences from completely seperate sentences!
    On the other hand....

... But have never encountered a Sparrowhawk so wouldn't have any knowledge on the Bird ...
    This guy has trouble identifying and has never before seen Sparrowhawk, yet professes to have seen/identified 15 gull species in Britain - including Caspian, Azorean Herring and Yellow-legged - in the past 5 months. When the penny finally does drop, the whole birding world will hear it!

Paul L