Thread: green "bullfinch"????

Default green "bullfinch"????

Hello, can anyone help me
    In my garden yesterday I saw 2 birds, and I cannot ID them!

He was exactly the same shape and size as a bullfinch, sat the same, plummage lay the same and everything except he was apple green with a black splodge on the top of his head. He had a very unusual song, not unlike a goldfinch. She was dull, blacky grey

they were interested in the nuts, the niger seeds and pecked at the fence posts too.

I know its NOT a siskin, greenfinch or yellow hammer -

I live outside Edinburgh backing onto decidous and conifer woodland, I always have food out, and get all sorts - bullfinch, goldfinch, treecreepers, wrens, dunnock sall the tits, woodpeckers buzzards (!!) owls and sparrowhawks. Its unseasonably warm here - daffs are out and nearly over!

I appreciate you say it was NOT a Siskin but that's a pretty good description of both male and female!

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidHolmes View Post
    I appreciate you say it was NOT a Siskin but that's a pretty good description of both male and female!

David
    Hi David, there were siskins in the garden and it was def. not one of them - its was bigger too. COuld somtheing unusual have ended up here from Europe etc because its been so warm?

also, it was just one colour of green - no mottling , stripes , yellow bits or anything, just "parrot" green
    or anything

I'd agree with David, your description is perfect for Siskin in every way. Some good photos here of both sexes. Very unlikely to be anything from Europe as it is very early still for the couple of possibilities I can think of. Any chance that it was a Greenfinch with a black mark on the forehead?
    Last edited by Odonate; March 5th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

if you're familiar with the regularly occurring garden birds including Siskin, then perhaps some sort of escaped exotic although from that description not sure what...

Thanks, but it was NOT a siskin... they have lots of black and are not parrot/apple green. My neighbout has now seen them too and he is an uber twitcher and has no idea's either - escapees might be a good thought...

Without according too much credit to the ID skills of an "uber twitcher" , if he can't identify it then it's almost certainly going to be an escaped exotic.

helbies, you might want to try a google image search for lovebird. You mention the bright parrot green and how they were pecking at fence posts (which wouldn't seem like finch-like behaviour).