Thread: introduce myself

Default introduce myself

Hi all,
    Just wanted to introduce myself; I love birds and have been a birdwatcher from way back. I live in Phoenix Arizona (our weather right now is awesome!) and live in the middle of the city. We have several large trees and a large lot so we attract quite a variety of birds. Have had a nesting pair of western screech owls in a nesting box we placed high in an ash tree. They produced one pair of babies 2 years ago, but the male was chased out/killed by bees which took over the box.
    Looking forward to chatting with you all!
    I do have a question; we are landscaping some of our property, and the landscaper wants to put crushed granite between the plants in the beds. It does reduce loss of moisture, which is a factor here in the desert, but I am concerned whether its in the birds best interest. anyone have any ideas about this?

Hi tricksie13 and welcome to the forum. Very lucky to have nesting screech owls.

regarding your landscape question, I guess anything you can do to retain moisture is good and crushed granite sounds a lot better than rubber mulch etc!