Thread: Sicily birds

Default Sicily birds

Just back from a great week in Sicily with Andrea - three Sicilian Rock Partridge (finally seen) - but a number of other great birds. These included a Bar-tailed Desert Lark near Capo Murro de Porco on 19th and 20th (still present on 24-04) and an Atlas Flycatcher on 20th and 21st. On 24th we also saw the bird below which we watched for 20 minutes: in lots of ways this also looked like an Atlas - really black-and-white, all black tail, huge primary patch, long p1, but there are doubts based on the size of white on the forehead. Are there any images of Atlas Flys with such a restricted amount of white on the forehead - or had anyone seen any? Is this actually iberiae, though with the other bird and the Bar-tailed we wondered if they were coming from the same area.

Photos by Paul Mansz.

Comments please

Brian S
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have seen lots of iberiae. Although they are very striking in appearance, I have never seen one with anything like that amount of white at the base of the primaries.

I have a reply from someone that knows about these things and they reckon it is an Atlas - and that these are a little more variable than most think.

Brian S

Image from Malta - two also further north in Italy on Ventotene - http://www.surfbirds.com/media/galle...7145912925.jpg
    Last edited by Brian S; April 26th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Hi Brian
    I was wondering about that Atlas from Sicily. In fact as you said it had very little white on forehead. Could it possibly be a Hybrid Collared x Pied? Here in Malta we trap 1 or 2 Flycatchers every spring which it is very difficult to come to a conclusion of what they are. As you may know these flycatchers hybridize a lot. For such birds to be 100%sure is through DNA!

Ray Galea
    Malta

Quote Originally Posted by Dabchick View Post
    Hi Brian
    I was wondering about that Atlas from Sicily. In fact as you said it had very little white on forehead. Could it possibly be a Hybrid Collared x Pied? Here in Malta we trap 1 or 2 Flycatchers every spring which it is very difficult to come to a conclusion of what they are. As you may know these flycatchers hybridize a lot. For such birds to be 100%sure is through DNA!

Ray Galea
    Malta
    Ray

We did speculate but asked whether a hybrid between Collared and Pied would completely lack white in the tail and possess a long p1?

And by the way Ray, welcome to surfbirds forum; your contributions of birds in Malta would be much appreciated.

Brian S