Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pied Flycatcher (presumed) Flamborough Head 28 April 20012

Default Pied Flycatcher (presumed) Flamborough Head 28 April 20012

I presume the bird in the attached photos is an unusual Pied Flycatcher (1st summer male) rather than a Semi-collared, but informed comments welcome. I never got a tail spread, but from flight views the white in the rectrices seemed confines to the outer webs, but couldn't be sure of this.

BrettIMG_0360.JPGIMG_0396.JPGIMG_0397.JPGIMG_0421.JPGP1040013.JPG

The large white forehead blaze and fairly large primary patch remind me of Iberian Pied Flycatcher, but that has an all black tail of course, unlike this bird.

Brett

This is a very interesting bird! I have recently seen two Atlas in Sicily - both adults - and there were two others in Italy and one on Malta - http://www.surfbirds.com/media/galle...7145912925.jpg

The amount of white on the forehead is spot on for Atlas Flycatcher; the white at the base of the primaries is for a 2cy very large for Pied, but again fine for other species such as Collared, Semi-c and Atlas (I reckon too much for 2cy Iberian); white in the tail is not wrong for 2cy Atlas or Iberian that can lack white in 2nd gen outer rectrices, but can show them in retained 1st gen.

two images of 2cy Atlas Flycatcher - one with retained outer rectrices - http://surfbirds.com/albums/showphot...-2c-ma&cat=500 - the other with 2nd gen outer rectrices - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-40ZSZYePxz...igera%2527.jpg

Note the shape of white on the forehead that becomes pointed up the middle towards the crown. I am not saying it is an Atlas any more tahn it might be a hybrid, but it is worth looking very carefully at and not discarding Atlas on the white in the tail.

Can Andrea comment form Pantellaria?

Brian S
    Last edited by Brian S; April 29th, 2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Sorry, I just though I would mention that the length of p10 beyond the primary coverts is quite long - Pied is 0.5-5mm, but it is longer on Atlas....

Also I wanted to add the link http://www.ibercajalav.net/img/387_P...Fhypoleuca.pdf

Brian S

hmmm interesting. Mark Pearson - similar time, similar area had this bird only yesterday which, while less striking seems to potentially show some hybrid characters (thinking Pied/ Collared)- this would be my starting point for Brett's bird. Good stuff

Martin

while I do not see anything wrong in the Pearson's Pied, often they have more faded/abraded feathers on neck or mantle appearing as a semi collar fading into the blackish
    the bird of the original thread is a perfect looking Atlas Flycatcher, very similar to the many I've handled in skins and seen alive in N Africa....

the forehead patch in the 2nd bird is normal, while in the 1st one it is as should be in many Atlas, as a diamond shaped huge white patch. This patch could be rather variable, with the least being only as in iberiae or slightly wider, and the typical bird showing an "immense" white patch even bigger than in Collared !!!! in between, the most frequente pattern is like the one Brian pointed out....
    also, any 2nd cy Pied would have much smaller and more restricted primary base patch, while in 2nd cy speculigera this is variable, being smaller in many but usually just like our discussed bird here....
    Also, P1 (P10 in gulls, raptors, etc., but P1 in passerines) is very typical Atlas...

Also, the intensity and deepness of the black, which for a 2nd cy Pied would be too much, is perfect for speculigera.... however, also Collared would have same deep velvet black.

Tail pattern is not at all a problem, 2nd cy male with retained T6-T5 (or R6-R5) most often show white there....

The problme here is different: with such a huge variability of hybrids PiedxCollared, would be such a MEGA ever likely accepted ? Hardly ! Adult male would be easier, but a 2nd cy its very HARD !!! So, even if it looks like an ATLAS, I would not discard a very odd hybrid before having heard the calls and having taken a DNA sample.
    We need here to sound record the call, or either try to catch the bird with mist-nets and take feathers for a DNA sample....I would suggest birders up there to go without hesitation and try to catch the bird or at least soudn record the calls !!

In any case, this spring is the best ever influx into Europe of ATLAS, with 2 ringed (feathers sample taken too) in Ventotene island, which is in Lazio, Central Italy, 2 to 4 birds more in Sicily (2 sure 2 presumed in pantelleria seen by a swedish birder here) and 1 - the first of all these - in Malta

Indeed, in Pantelleria, Pelagie (MISC) or Malta (R.Galea pers. com.) sometimes we get some very odd looking Ficedula which really looks like Atlas but have something not perfectly fitting, therefore left UN-ID !! :-(((( DNA is the definitive proof then

ciao from Pantelleria, yesterday 1000+ honey buzzrad, pallid harriers, monty, eleonora's, red-foots, lesser kestrels, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Garner View Post
    hmmm interesting. Mark Pearson - similar time, similar area had this bird only yesterday which, while less striking seems to potentially show some hybrid characters (thinking Pied/ Collared)- this would be my starting point for Brett's bird. Good stuff

Martin
    Also reminds me of a presumed hybrid I caught at Filey many years back. I never pinned it down, but it had an asymmetric tail pattern. It showed many features of Atals/Spanish as wellas a nice grey rump and collar.

Quote Originally Posted by macrourus View Post
    We need here to sound record the call, or either try to catch the bird with mist-nets and take feathers for a DNA sample....I would suggest birders up there to go without hesitation and try to catch the bird or at least soudn record the calls !!
    Taking feathers is not permitted, even for ringers, without a different (specific) licence, as it's classed as an 'invasive procedure', so probably not a realistic possibility.

Humm, can anyone tell me about the the call for Atlas compared to Pied etc? Saves me wading through piles of literature! I see the bird is present this evening at Flamborough..... I see a trip in the morning

ATB

Steph'

Quote Originally Posted by GoneBirding View Post
    Humm, can anyone tell me about the the call for Atlas compared to Pied etc? Saves me wading through piles of literature! I see the bird is present this evening at Flamborough..... I see a trip in the morning

ATB

Steph'
    A recording on the IBC from Morocco - http://ibc.lynxeds.com/sound/europea...alling-singing

Brian S