Thread: Long-billed Dowitcher, Gt Livermere, Suffolk

Default Long-billed Dowitcher, Gt Livermere, Suffolk

Dashed out this am for the L-b Dowitcher at Livermere. God views, though cold. At one point flushed by a goose and called softly liked a Turnstone and bill 1.5x length of head.

Brian S

BTW - my 358th bird species for Suffolk (but I don't include Ruddy Shelduck....yet)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian S; May 5th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Dashed out this am for the L-b Dowitcher at Livermere. God views, though cold. At one point flushed by a goose and called softly liked a Turnstone and bill 1.5x length of head.

Brian S

BTW - my 358th bird species for Suffolk (but I don't include Ruddy Shelduck....yet)
    I guess your confident it is a Long-billed rather than Short-billed which unless I'm mistaken it was calling like and has the right bill to head ratio? Undertail coverts seem fairly pale as well, but plenty of barring on upper breast sides, not just an older male Short-billed?
    Tim Jones

Visit my blog here

I am not really questioning the identity, but when it was pushed off by a Greylag it called a rolling, Turnstone-like call (twice), which was lower pitched than I would have expected for Long-billed, but it was also unlike the typical almost Lesser yellowlegs-like call of Short-billed. Maybe it was a series of the 'peep' call of LbD. I mentioned it because this call is often quoted a s a SbD feature, but in this instance wasn't.

The plumage is fine for LbD, with quite squared-off white tips to the scaps and new coverts; the upper breast is a touch spotted, becoming chevrons/bars on flanks; tail is largely black-barred, with narrow white.

Brian S

agree, plumage looks good for LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    I am not really questioning the identity, but when it was pushed off by a Greylag it called a rolling, Turnstone-like call (twice), which was lower pitched than I would have expected for Long-billed, but it was also unlike the typical almost Lesser yellowlegs-like call of Short-billed. Maybe it was a series of the 'peep' call of LbD. I mentioned it because this call is often quoted a s a SbD feature, but in this instance wasn't.

The plumage is fine for LbD, with quite squared-off white tips to the scaps and new coverts; the upper breast is a touch spotted, becoming chevrons/bars on flanks; tail is largely black-barred, with narrow white.

Brian S
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up Brian
    Tim Jones

Visit my blog here