Thread: Grey Plover ? Red Knot ? Red-necked / Little Stint ? - Hong Kong migrant

Default Grey Plover ? Red Knot ? Red-necked / Little Stint ? - Hong Kong migrant

Hi everyone,

Another ID request please. This time taken at Mai Po Nature Reserve in Hong Kong 1st April 2012 (yes really, there's no April Fool here) during the Spring passage. It's one of the smallest waders I've seen there on the mudflats and there was a flock of about 10 birds. Foot / leg / bill colouration is difficult due to the mud but it's short stubby bill in conjunction with the barred tail feathers that are confusing me.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Darren untitled-136.jpguntitled-124.jpguntitled-121.jpg

It is a Grey Plover...but I find it difficult to believe it is one of the 'smallest' waders on the mudflats?

Thanks for the confirmation - the size topic always was a bit subjective since they seemed further away than I am used to - maybe they weren't as far as I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Whifflepeg View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation - the size topic always was a bit subjective since they seemed further away than I am used to - maybe they weren't as far as I thought!
    ... or perhaps further!

mmm... yes, thanks Pete, maybe being further away would make them look smaller !!!