Thread: Taken in our garden in France this morning

Default Taken in our garden in France this morning

Sorry about the quality of the photo not doing well recently, the black and white bars across the breast are throwing me unless the camera angle is playing tricks.

MikecopyP1130233.jpg

Hi Mike,

I would go for Bluethroat although the photo is not the best. But I do have that same problem now and then.

Cheers,

Bert
    Do you want to see the Birds of the Alentejo region in Portugal?

For more information:

Birdwatching Alentejo

For Dutch:

Vogels in Portugal

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/birdwatchingalentejo.portugal

You can stay at our holiday cottages at Monte Horizonte and we can show you the birds.

Thanks Bert

To my eye it's a chaffinch side on, with the black and white bars on the wing rather than the breast. It is like one of those optical illusion pictures that flicks between two images though - sometimes looking side on, sometimes front on.

Bluethroat was my most immediate first reaction but the white patch seems much too large and overall is too "heavy". On structure I would agree that Chaffinch seems the most likely culprit although quite how the white wing bar gets across the breast is a bit of a puzzle!

David

I also first thought Chaffinch but Im normally wrong but how the white bar appears across the breast is a bit odd. It would to a lot easier if I managed to take better pictures occasionally

Mike

Female Chaffinch.....the bird is not head on....the picture is taken at about 45 degrees from behind. The white band is indeed the wing bar!

Well thanks everyone for sorting that out, also I was behind the bird when I took the pretty poor pictures, I was lucky to get them before she flew off, or not as the case maybe. I will have to look harder for another tick. Off to La Brenne and the south coast thursday so lets be lucky.
    Mike