Thread: Coscoroba Swan

Senior Member Surfbirds Bloggers's Avatar

Default Coscoroba Swan

We went out to Pleasant Roads pond and Kelp Point pond today to see if the Coscoroba Swans have got any young. When I got to Pleasant Roads pond the pair of Coscoroba Swans were still on the pond but no sign of any young which was very disappointing as the last time I was there one bird was sitting on a nest on one of the Islands. Continued onto Kelp Point pond where I could see lots of Coscoroba Swans from a distance, once we got to the side of the pond it was great to see that there were lots adult birds that included 1 pair with 6 young and another pair with 5 young. This is only the 4th & 5th time that Coscoroba Swans have breed in the Falkland Islands. 7 adult birds including a pair with 6 youngA none breeding pair flying into Kelp Point pondBreeding pair with 5 young.We saw today a total of 13 adults (possible including last years 5 cygnets) and 11 cygnets.I will add another entry later with all the other birds & mammals seen today.

If you haven't discovered Falklands blog, you should bookmark it - it's a good one with some nice photos from that part of the world.