Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Usernames or Real names?

In the middle of Wyre forest, Worcestershire.

I agree with Raptor, but I just think that to use your real name is kind of nice. It's not the Spanish Inqui job is it ?
    I have always used my real name and have had the usual rubbish but that can usually be sorted pretty quickly. If people are posting pics they can usually be id eed pretty soon anyway.
    JohnR

Hi,
    Not to concerned what people wish to call themselves (other than having to type out long names), I have corresponded with John Robinson on several occasions and he suggested than he prefered proper names so I use my christian name, but my full/real name can be found on all of my images.
    My only wish is that people are polite and understanding, we do not all speak the same language, or understand/share the same sense of humour, or all have the same level of expertise, so at times people need to reflect on what they say, I suppose the old saying of "engage brain before opening mouth" applies.
    regards David
    Last edited by Firstlight; March 11th, 2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

In the middle of Wyre forest, Worcestershire.

David
    Yes I don't know why it is but I just find it embarassing to address a post by someone using a wierd name ( and lets face it- some can be ! ). It's no big deal but maybe I'm old fashioned !
    Cheers
    JohnR

An interesting thread. I prefer to use a username as opposed to my real name, not because I have anything to hide - and I have no intention of chucking in a few grenades and running away! - but because firstly I hate my real name and don't want it looking back at me everytime I'm on a forum!!

Secondly a friend, who used her real name on a (non-birding) forum, was subjected to cyber stalking and harassment and I've had the odd bit of bother too, when I have used my real name so I am a bit wary of putting my real name online too much.

But, my friends and family all call me 'Fay' which is a shortened version of my real name and if you want to call me that, then feel free to.

Cheers
    VB
    Last edited by FayJ; March 9th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

user

I am with John on this one; there is difference between using a discrete on-line name (John R or Colin K) if you do not want to give your full and proper name but some of these "monicas" are just downright stupid. I had a trawl through the members list (bored, or what?!) just to see what I thought the most silly name was, but I got even more bored and gave up.

I do think that this bloke called "Admin" is a bit suspect; do you reckon he could be related to that well-known Nigerian birder "Idi Admin"?

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Key View Post
    I am with John on this one; there is difference between using a discrete on-line name (John R or Colin K) if you do not want to give your full and proper name but some of these "monicas" are just downright stupid. I had a trawl through the members list (bored, or what?!) just to see what I thought the most silly name was, but I got even more bored and gave up.

I think at the end of the day, it's up to the person concerned.
    Some people want to see real names, others aren't bothered and some like to have an alternate handle as opposed to their everyday identity. It's no big deal, although in private correspondence I do use my real name.

I hope my 'moniker' is not 'downright stupid, though - I am a birder and I come from the Isle of Wight (which was known as Vectis in Roman Times).

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Key View Post

I do think that this bloke called "Admin" is a bit suspect; do you reckon he could be related to that well-known Nigerian birder "Idi Admin"?

Colin
    Hilarious

until you remember he was 'well-known' for being Ugandan

F.
    Last edited by forktail; March 12th, 2008 at 12:06 AM.
    OBC John Peel Awesomeness
    The little things they make me so happy, all I want to do is live by the sea...

user

Quote Originally Posted by forktail View Post
    Hilarious

until you remember he was 'well-known' for being Ugandan

F.
    Oh, yes!! (but not that much difference REALLY)

Colin

user

I have just noticed on "the other channel" that there are members calling themselves "Bananafishbones" and "Semolina Pilchard" - I quite honestly would not lower myself to communicate with these sort of "Jodrells".

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by john robinson View Post
    David
    Yes I don't know why it is but I just find it embarassing to address a post by someone using a wierd name ( and lets face it- some can be ! ). It's no big deal but maybe I'm old fashioned !
    Cheers
    JohnR
    I'd go along with that John. I am sure some of the more wierd names do not need to be repeated here, but I guess everyone to their own. I used Collalba on here as I am into research projects involving Wheatear Sp., and also think using my full name could sound a bit pompous on this 'ere forum!

Peter
    Collalba
    www.spanishnature.com

Please support Andalucia Bird Society http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.com