Thread: carolina wren?

huntsburg, ohio usa

Default carolina wren?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but I am hoping to be a member of this community for a long time to come. I live in a rural area in northeast Ohio. I live on a small farm with a lot of woods, a small lake, and a small stream so I see quite a variety of birds. This spring we were regularly visited by 3 huge tom turkeys along with about 20 or so hens. Just a few weeks ago (in November) I spotted a couple of bluebirds, I am hoping that means that we are going to have a mild winter.

Anyway, my question is about a bird that I've seen several times lately, but oddly enough not at all during the spring and summer. The bird, I believe is a Carolina Wren. The coloring/markings are exact however the bill appears to be longer than I've seen in pictures. This bird has a bill similar in size to the bill of a nuthatch. This bird also frequently visits my window seed feeder which I didn't think was a habit of the Carolina wren. Is there any other bird that this could be?

Hi judykr, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you live in a bird rich area and a backyard most of us would dream about.

Carolina's do visit window feeders - here's one at a window. In terms of other birds, Red-breasted Nuthatch has a strong eyestripe like a Carolina but they are different colors. I suspect your bird is a Carolina. If you can manage a photo, however poor, and post it here, we will know for sure. Best, Andy

huntsburg, ohio usa

Default carolina wren

Thanks to you Andy Birch, the picture that you sent of the wren at the window feeder gives me a positive id for my visitor. I've been trying to get a picture of him but he is a little camera shy.

Yes we do get quite a variety of birds and other wildlife. I am anxiously waiting for the Pileated woodpecker to come back to the suet feeder once winter sets in. Right now though I have Downys, Hairys, and Red Bellied. We've never had a Red headed woodpecker even though I am sure there have to be some living in our woods.

One day last month I saw a couple of pair of Evening Grossbeaks at our feeder but they've never come back. Do they have a favorite food that I can use to attract them back?

Hi judykr, Grosbeaks are always exciting visitors to the feeders. Our most common "what's this bird that's just shown up" is usually in May when someone has a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Evening Grosbeaks are also great birds in the winter months.

In terms of food, here are our Top 10 Wild Bird Foods. You cannot go wrong with #1 or #3, I would have thought for finches, grosbeaks etc. Some members have had success switching from black oil sunflower to nyjer and have seen a dramatic difference in variety and numbers of birds. It'll need some experimenting.

Here is our central resource for backyard birding that answers some of the more common questions including ID.

Good luck and let us know how you get on attracting those Evening Grosbeaks!

I'm also copying this thread in to Backyard Birding
    weed vaporizer