- Scriver, J. Living death [A shockingly graphic illustrated account of a Peregrine’s attack on a Common Gull]
- Vinicombe, K E. American Herring Gull [The status and identification of this vagrant Nearctic gull in Britain and Ireland]
- Wilson, J. Reedlings [Personal recollections of Bearded Tits at Leighton Moss by the reserve’s former warden]
- Young, S. Hide-away [How to use a portable hide for photography]
- Building skills – Resolute birding
- Find your own … Brambling
- How to … Point it out
- On the move – past experience
- Tip from the top – Adrian Pitches
- Must see – Purple Sandpiper
- Garden Birdwatch – Noteworthy
- Event of the month – Big Garden Birdwatch 2008
- What’s on – January events
- Optical events – January guide
- Birding courses and workshops
- January high-tide tables for Britain and Ireland
Where to watch birds
- Mulder, R. Lauwersmeer, The Netherlands
- Rose, C. Red Kites in the Chilterns
- Jones, G. Wigan Flashes, Lancashire
- Morrell, Caerlaverock WWT, Dumfries and Galloway
News and related items
News digest – Cruise ship sinks in Antarctica, latest Rarities Committee report, proposed CAP reforms and White-tailed Eagles in Scotland.
Fraser, M. ListCheck – updating the world view of birds. [Relationships: Owls – Megascops and Otus species. Potential splits: Congolese birds. National list: Britain – addition of Olive-tree Warbler Hippolais olivetorum]
Tools of the trade
Product review: Bushnell Elite e2 8x42 binocular; Tamrac Adventure 7 bag
Brochure watch: Birdwatching Breaks 2008
Internet: updates and new websites, photography online, plus website of the month.
Book reviews and previews: A History of Ornithology by Peter Bircham (HarperCollins); True to Form by David Bennett (Langford Press); Bird: the Definitive Visual Guide by David Burnie (Dorling Kindersley); Eagle Island: a Year on the Isle of Mull by Gordon Buchanan (Beckman Visual Publishing/BBC)
Accounts of recent rarities in Britain and Ireland
Rogers, A. Goodwick supplies the goods [Pechora Pipit Anthus gustavi, Goodwick Moor, Pembrokeshire,19-23 November 2007]
Rabbitts, B. Mourning has broken - twice [Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura, Carnach, South Uist, Outer Hebrides, 1-7 November 2007]
McGeehan, A. Yank dove touches down at Inishbofin International [Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura, Inishbofin, Co Galway, Ireland, 2-15 November 2007]
McKenzie, D. Record-breakers [Little Auk movement, North Sea, November 2007]
Monthly highlights summary: November 2007
Monthly round-ups from eight regions in Britain, and from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, November 2007, including photos of Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias (December), probable Pied Wheatear Oenanthe pleschanka, probable Desert Lesser Whitethroat Sylvia (curruca) minula, Rough-legged Buzzard Buteo lagopus, Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis, Penduline Tit Remiz pendulinus, Desert Wheatear Oenanthe deserti, White’s Thrush Zoothera dauma, Short-toed Lark Calandrella brachydactyla, Little Auk Alle alle, probable Gyr Falcon Falco rusticolus, Bonaparte’s Gull Larus philadelphia, Pechora and Buff-bellied Pipit Anthus gustavi and A rubescens, Barrow’s Goldeneye Bucephala islandica and Forster’s Tern Sterna forsteri.
Highlights summary for the Western Palearctic in November 2007, including photos of Canvasback Aythya valisineria and Hooded Merganser Lophodytes cucullatus in The Netherlands, Killdeer Charadrius vociferus in Spain, Red-flanked Bluetail Tarsiger cyanurus in France, Tricoloured Heron Egretta tricolor in Spain and Eyebrowed Thrush Turdus obscurus in Israel.
Exclusive reader offer
Petrels Night & Day: A Sound Approach Guide by Magnus Robb, Killian Mullarney & The Sound Approach. Order a copy at the special price of £27.95
World of Birds 2008 – 24-page supplement on birding holidays and destinations, with illustrated articles on goose-watching in Britain, Ireland and continental Europe, Kenya’s Rift Valley, the Canadian Arctic and Australia’s Northern Territory.